We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

`Cuckoo's Nest' hospital to be torn down

Bettembourg...
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
`Cuckoo's Nest' hospital to be torn down

Oregon State Hospital, the mental institution where the 1975 movie "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" was filmed, is making way for a new complex. Most of the dilapidated, 125-year-old main building will be torn down and replaced starting this fall.

Although mean Nurse Ratched was pure fiction, the Oregon State Hospital has struggled with some very real troubles over the years, including overcrowding, crumbling floors and ceilings, outbreaks of scabies and stomach flu, sexual abuse of children by staff members, and patient-on-patient assaults.

Politicians had been talking for years about the need to replace the hospital, but didn't get serious about it until a group of legislators made a grim discovery during a 2004 tour: the cremated remains of 3,600 mental patients in corroding copper canisters in a storage room. The lawmakers were stunned.

…yahoo.com/s/…goodbye_cuckoo_s_nest

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: `Cuckoo's Nest' hospital to be torn down

This has been a topic of heated discussion for some time. The building is very run down in many areas. Some of the wards have been converted to state offices and they cannot even run phones to those areas because of the materials in the walls (including asbestos). HOWEVER the site and parts of the building are considered "historic" because of the architecture - not just the movie.

I am hopeful that they will be able to preserve some of the nicer areas of the building while rebuilding the rest of the facility to the benefit of the patients and those that work there.

I do NOT want to see it turned into a "McMenamins" or the like, as suggested by the Mayor of Salem. Who would want to stay in a hotel that backs up to the State Correctional Facility, unless they had to??

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,150 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: `Cuckoo's Nest' hospital to be torn down

fiveforefun--I agree with your post completely. I remember the buzz in town when the moview was made (sure you do too).

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,123 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: `Cuckoo's Nest' hospital to be torn down

There is nothing more depressing or creepy , imo, than an abandoned Mental Hospital. There was a huge old one out on Long Island in NY... driving by there, I always felt like you could still hear people screaming :(

4. Re: `Cuckoo's Nest' hospital to be torn down

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 06:26
Get answers to your questions about Salem