We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salem - drugs and not so nice?

Heidelberg
Level Contributor
30 posts
234 reviews
Save Topic
Salem - drugs and not so nice?

Hello,

i was told by a person who lives in Salem, that it is not so attractive, a town for "drugies" (??) and not really a town to spend a day at.

I wanted to stay two nights in salem on a weekend before heading to the coast, because the coast is crowded on weekends and overpriced.

Now i think maybe salem is not a good city to stay two nights (Friday and Saturday).

Wanted to use the saturday mainly to shop, go to malls and tuff before heading to the coast on sunday afternoon.

What do oyu think?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Salem - drugs and not so nice?

Medford and surrounding areas are probably worse, drug-wise as there are large "grow" areas there as well as air drops.

Salem, not too exciting - as far as a destination...unless you want to bade yourself there and hit wineries in the area and south toward Eugene...or want to spend extended time at the Capitol.

I'd skip Salem and head to the coast.....much more fun!

Mentioned in this post
Medford
Medford
Oregon
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,693 posts
1,084 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Salem - drugs and not so nice?

Hello Kevin, I'm going to ask the question of "when are you planning to visit"?

You state "...the coast is crowded on weekends and overpriced."

If you are planning to visit in the summer, the prices will be the same on weeknights as they are on weekends. They change because of the seasons, not the day of the week.

Some of the coast is crowded on weekends -- but where are you going? Some small towns you will not see much difference.

If you want to shop, maybe think about staying nearer to Portland (you don't have to stay downtown), and shopping at Woodburn Outlet Center, Bridgeport Plaza, Clackamas Town Center, or other malls/shopping areas. When you do go to the coast, you'd be only about 30 minutes farther away than in Salem.

Mentioned in this post
Heidelberg
Level Contributor
30 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Salem - drugs and not so nice?

Hello,

thanks for all the advices.

I will come to Salem in August. From there go on to Tillamook / Garibalid and then down the Oregon coast all the way to Brookings, OR.

Focus is on short trips because of older persons in the party.

I did not know about Silverton so far and had a look at this. Seems to be very nice for someone older to stroll there and see the gardens.

Plannend to stay at the BW Mill Creek Inn or the Comfort Inn and Suites in Salem.

I was just a little bit concerned after i heard about Salem not being so nice and drug problems.

But i think shopping and the gardens and some relaxtion at the hotel pool would be a good deal for a two night layover in Salem.

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Brookings
Brookings
Oregon Coast, OR
Oregon
Level Contributor
4,367 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Salem - drugs and not so nice?

Either motel you mentioned are in a decent area. There is a really nice hotel downtown. I think it is the Phoenix Grand Hotel. Not to be mistaken with the Phoenix Inn and suites. I wouldn't spend a ton of money on your accommodations in Salem unless that was your real destination and someone else was paying. There is a Denney's right next to the Mill Creek Inn and across the street from Comfort Inn. And there are other fast food type place on either Mission Street to the West or just up on Lancaster off of Hwy 22 to the East.

Level Contributor
5,143 posts
671 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Salem - drugs and not so nice?

Yes, Kevin, that's the Salem I remember...LOL

Seriously though, there's no reason not to stay for a couple nights in Salem and go to the malls before quickly moving on.

16. Re: Salem - drugs and not so nice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2009, 10:37
Get answers to your questions about Salem