We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

People per hotel room

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
42 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
People per hotel room

So the extended family is getting together in Salem for a destination Thanksgiving meal. My sister's family has to stay in a different hotel because she was told only two kids are allowed per room and she has three. I don't see how this can be legal. Don't know about the hotels in WA where I live but apartments can only limit the number of unrelated persons living together. I can understand a cot charge for the 5th person but not telling them they need an extra room. Any one know the laws on this?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: People per hotel room

Just like a restaurant can deny service to people not wearing shirts or shoes, a hotel can dictate the terms under which it will rent rooms. And, as long as it's applied consistently, a policy of allowing only two kids per room is not discrimination.

Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
Level Contributor
6,180 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: People per hotel room

cant someone else in the extended family without a child take yours into their room and that way you can all stay in the same hotel --- also its just a matter of who registers in what room -- as long as things are quiet nobody from the hotel will come by and make sure the right number of people are in the right room

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: People per hotel room

I'm really curious why you would think that there should be some sort of "law" involved? These are private business and as such, can make decisions about their businesses such as how many people in a room; how much to charge; when check in and check out times are? Just asking. Chuck...

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,228 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: People per hotel room

Of course it's legal, why wouldn't it be? The law is that a hotel is a private property that has a perfect "legal" right to set their own policies.

If they were denying your sister's family a room because of race or a whole host of related other reasons, that of course is not legal. But number of guests per room? Absolutely they are within the law.

I also think your statement about the number of people living in apartments might be slightly wrong, but I'm not going to take the time to research WA law on this!

Although I'm not condoning lougee's suggestion of "fibbing" when you all register, it would be a workable situation if the room had two queens and a couch or hide-a-bed, so that all children would have a comfortable place to sleep.

I am a bit surprised that the hotel has no family rooms - most do - or perhaps they are already booked?

Just out of curiousity, pepperzoe, in your opinion how many children should a hotel allow in a room? Three, five, more?

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: People per hotel room

Interesting sidebar that gives an insight to OP's character: On another forum she says that she is a "speeder" and will do "her best" to drive the posted speed limit but it will be "hard". She goes on to ask how fast over the posted limit to they start ticketing, and how much a speeding ticket is. Then, here, she is insensed about a motel that has an cccupancy rule, and it should be against the law. Go figure. Chuck...

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,228 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: People per hotel room

Hmmm . . .

Thanks Chuck ;-)

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
42 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: People per hotel room

Assumed it would be against the law for a hotel to discriminate against families. It's not that big of deal for my sister since she's married her and her husband can split up the kids between rooms. If she was single with four children a hotel would really expect a parent to to put a couple of preteens together in a room by themselves? Just find this very odd. Us three kids always always stayed in the same room with our folks when we traveled. It's not a fire code thing since hotels vary in their procedures.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,228 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: People per hotel room

From my previous post above:

>I am a bit surprised that the hotel has no family rooms - most do - or perhaps they are already booked? <

Again, most hotels do have family rooms. They are NOT required by any law to have *all* family rooms! They are also not required to have *any* family rooms.

It is NOT "discrimination" if a private hotel has no family rooms available.

I still think they all may already have been booked . . .

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
248 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: People per hotel room

I was curious about this so I did some checking. I know that discriminating against family status is illegal, but apparently group size is different as it applies ot groups that are not families equally.

Apparently it is pretty common that starting at the 4th child is where people are asked to get a second room. This is not an Oregon thing, but across the country. In many cases it is the Fire Marshall sets the occupancy rate. From what I can tell there can be a great deal of variation based on room size and configuration...even within the same building.

I did find a website your sister may find helpful - http://sixsuitcasetravel.com/ a website that specializes in hotel accommodations for a family of 5, 6, 7 or 8.

Salem, Oregon
8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: People per hotel room

It sounds like this is more of a policy than a law. And as long as they are following the laws, they are within their rights to implement and follow their own hotel policies. Because they are not living at the hotel, rental laws would not apply, and if they did, Oregon states that only two people can "live" in a bedroom, three if under the age of two.

It does seem odd tha they want you to get a seperate room, especially if all of the children are young. I would ask to speak to a hotel manager for further explanation on their policy, and see if they have a family room of some sort, or if they have rooms that are connected and accessible to one another within the rooms.

Get answers to your questions about Salem