We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's with negative Caruso's reviews?

Which Salem hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,025 posts
389 reviews
Save Topic
What's with negative Caruso's reviews?

The Keizer forum is basically empty (1 comment -- that in 2008), so I'll ask here, Can anyone explain the negative reviews (one or two circles/stars) for Caruso's Italian Cafe in Keizer. We have dined there probably a couple dozen times since they first opened in the old house on River Road, then followed them to the beautiful new location on the lake. We have NEVER had a bad meal at Caruso's -- some may not have "rung our bell," but we always left feeling we had gotten our money's worth., Jerry Phipps is one of our favorite chefs -- we had enjoyed his food also at the old Prime Rib in Salem and at Alessandro's Park Plaza. And Angie has never failed to greet us graciously and service has been good every visit. I'm amazed by the comments of rudeness -- totally different than my experience. I don't want to question the experience other reviewers relate, but ours has been quite the opposite. I noticed that of the 9 negative TA reviews, 6 of the reviewers have only 1 or 2 contributions. Still not saying they are not legit as to their personal experience, but it could cause some people to wonder about a hatchet job from a competitor. Any thoughts? I truly am puzzled.

4 replies to this topic
Oregon
Level Contributor
25 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's with negative Caruso's reviews?

I have heard many of the same things from people I know around town, so I imagine they are legitimate reviews. People say unless you are in the "in" group there, it feels as if it is a clique and you are not very welcome. Sounds like from your comments that you might be in the "in" crowd at Caruso's and know some of the people due to your regular visits. Maybe that is why there is a difference in your experiences from the reviewers here.

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,025 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's with negative Caruso's reviews?

I can only wish I were in the "in" group -- didn't realize there was one. We live in a small town 15 miles west of Salem and Keizer, and have never received special treatment. We've been placed at "good" tables, and back by the kitchen (in their old location on River Road). By no means are we "regulars" -- maybe a couple times a year. Have dined as a couple and with large parties of 8 to 12 for family birthdays -- the food has always been good, service competent and cordial (not "buddy-buddy" but never rude).

I would think if you are polite and treat the staff as you wish to be, you would have a pleasant experience.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's with negative Caruso's reviews?

As in all reviews, they are based upon a person's opinion. Nothing wrong with an opinion, whether you agree with it or not, it is a valid opinion. Chuck...

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
78 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's with negative Caruso's reviews?

I love Caruso's! I live in Keizer and eat at Caruso's two to three times a year. I don't know of many other places in Salem or Keizer with hours as good as Caruso's. The staff is always friendly and always accommodates dietary needs (gluten free noodles and meals are available). The food is well done and if you are lucky enough to get a nice day, the patio overlooking the lake is a wonderful place to dine. I recommend it to all who come through Keizer.

Reply to: What's with negative Caruso's reviews?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Salem