We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need some good eats in Salem

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,367 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Need some good eats in Salem

We are only 25 minutes from Salem and want a few suggestions for places to eat. I have inlaws - meaning free babysitting - in Salem so we go up there a couple times a month for dinner as a couple. We have grown tired of the chains. We like Mexican and Italian (no more Olive Garden for us) and American style food. Any ideas?

Mentioned in this post
Salem
Salem
Oregon
Oregon
Level Contributor
4,367 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need some good eats in Salem

Well, I think that answers my question. There is no good food in Salem. : )

Albany, OR
Level Contributor
101 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need some good eats in Salem

There was a thread on this topic a while back, but I just did a search and I sure couldn't find it - sorry! I'm assuming that you are looking for a nice restaurant. I can't remember the name of the one that got the best reviews on this forum, but it's in, I believe, West Salem. Maybe someone can remember it. I want to say that it's called Morton's, but...I'm not sure.

Whenever we're in Salem, we hit the Burger Basket on 22 across from the KMart. Awesome burgers - but probably not what you're looking for. Yeah, I'm a big help!

Mentioned in this post
Salem
Salem
Oregon
Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need some good eats in Salem

Jalauf,

RE: "Well, I think that answers my question. There is no good food in Salem. : )" TOO FUNNY!!

When I read your post yesterday, I thought, ooh, I can come up w/ somthing since I spend 4-5 days every month there on business, but you know what, I couldn't!! That's not to say there is not good food, but all the restaurants I frequent, after I thought about it, are chains. Newport Bay at Market and Hawthorn would be the closest to what you are seeking. Like McGraths, it's a small NW chain. Both are very good IMHO. I usually split my time between the above two and the Roadhouse. Too much Olive Garden for me as well!!

Den

Mentioned in this post
Salem
Salem
Oregon
Newport
Newport
Oregon Coast, OR
Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,420 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need some good eats in Salem

I too remembered the other post, but couldn't find it. Then I remembered it was buried within another post, but finally found it. I topped the thread, titled Portland, something or other. Anyway, read page 5 for the Salem restaurants.

Mentioned in this post
Salem
Salem
Oregon
Level Contributor
5,143 posts
671 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need some good eats in Salem

motherrobyn, you're thinking in Morton's Bistro NW on the west side of the river. We went there this summer, due to writeups we'd read in Frommer's and others. We'd heard Rachel Ray apparently loved the fish tacos there. The place was kind of quaint and interesting, but the food was SO salty! Everything from the bread to the entrees was so salty, we couldn't eat it. The lady at the B&B where we were staying warned us before we went too - "I wouldn't go there unless you really really like salt", but we figured we'd try it anyway, due to lack of other reputable places in Salem to eat. She was right on the money. http://mortonsbistronw.com/

Other places that have received good writeups are Alessandro's 120, Fleur de Sel and Kwan's Chinese. Depends on what your expectations are, I would expect.

Mentioned in this post
Salem
Salem
Oregon
Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,417 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need some good eats in Salem

This is it, posted by LittleLisa ....

Let's see for the restaurants in Salem. It would be helpful to know what kind of food or if you want relaxed vs a bit more stuffy.

I like the new Bentley's Grill in downtown Salem. It's a bit on the spendy side, but the food is great and the menu is pretty diverse: http://www.bentleysgrill.com.

If you want seafood, the best is McGrath's. They also serve a pretty decent steak and other options. Locations are downtown and one at Lancaster Mall.

Best Burger in Town: Rock 'N Rogers. 50's style dinner. Check out the Chicken Cord Roger - it's a gooey chicken burger. Absolutely tasty. It also has a old fashioned soda fountain and great shakes. One on South Commercial and one on Market.

One of my favorite's is Adams Ribs on State and 12th. Southern BBQ. Yum. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

Of course, we do have all the regular ugly chain's (Red Robin, Applebee's, and so on.......) Although one chain we have, the Roadhouse, I think has one of the best steaks in town.

The slow roasted Boubon soaked tri-tip. The Road House is south of Lancaster Mall on Lancaster Drive.

Mentioned in this post
Bentley's Grill
Bentley's Grill
394 Reviews
Salem, OR
Oregon
Level Contributor
4,367 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need some good eats in Salem

Thanks you guys. I worked in Salem for 7 years until our first kidling was born. You'd think I would know all of the good places. However, so many restaurants come and go for whatever reason. We used to like Olive Garden and then they took three items off the menu that we loved. Applebees is mediocre and we like Red Robin but more so when the kids are with us. We'll have to check out downtown and then get over to Kwans. Haven't been there in years and like all of the junk they sell in there lobby area.

Mentioned in this post
Salem
Salem
Oregon
Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need some good eats in Salem

One I forgot to mention was Thai Beer next to the Winco on Lancaster! Great Thai Food.

La Hacienta on South Commerical for authentic Mexican food with awesome homemade tortillas.

Seriously though, if you can, check out Adam's Ribs on State and 12th, across from Willamette University. Seriously good southern BBQ smokehouse food. My stomach is rumbling thinking about it.

(I was on vacation, or I would have answered this one earlier!!!)

Mentioned in this post
Willamette University
Willamette University
61 Reviews
Salem, OR
Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
42,847 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need some good eats in Salem

We ate at the McGrath's in Medford. Didn't realise until now that they were a chain, The Alaskan salmon was as fresh and tasty as anything I've had in the UK.

Not sure which side of Salem you live but we stayed in Silverton which is 12 miles north-east of Salem where The Silver Grille is located. A small but delightful restaurant on East Main with a short but exquisite menu and a good wine list. You can even park outside!

Mentioned in this post
Medford
Medford
Oregon
Salem
Salem
Oregon
Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need some good eats in Salem

I absolutely forgot about Kwans!! WOW!! They have the best oriental food ever!! They even have an entre` that's not on their menu: Strawberry Chicken. Ask for it. It beats the pants off of Lemon Chicken!

Den

Get answers to your questions about Salem