We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few questions

Which Seaside hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Topic
A few questions

We will be in Seaside for 1 week at beginning of July.

A few questions for the locals:

1. Are there any off-leash areas for our dog?

2. How strict are the lease laws? i.e. Is it frowned upon to have a well-behaved dog off leash on beaches/parks designated as on-leash?

3. Where would be the best place to buy groceries? We will be driving from the north through Astoria. Would it be better for us to buy groceries in Astoria?

Thanks.

Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
Level Contributor
6,056 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A few questions

dont know what the actual law is but you will always see dogs off leash on the beach and in the water --- just make sure you pick up after your pet

there is ample shopping in seaside including a safeway on 101 before you get to the town turnoff

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,288 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A few questions

there is also a costco in Astoria/Warrenton if you need mega supplys

McMinnville, Oregon
Level Contributor
112 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A few questions

You will also pass a Fred Meyer going thru Warrenton:>)

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A few questions

If coming from Astoria, I would personally buy my groceries either at Fred Meyer in Warrenton or Costco. I find Safeway to be a bit more expensive.

Level Contributor
34,752 posts
895 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A few questions

There is a new Costco in Warrenton, it's very nice! Also, the Safeway in Seaside has recently been redone and is a very nice place to shop for groceries. When you are there and just need a couple of items, the 12th Street Market also has been remodeled and now has a nice deli, it is right by the 12th Street Bridge and the Necanicum River. Have fun in Seaside! :)

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A few questions

When we take our dog, we keep her on a leash, but then she has a mind of her own and may or may not "come". she is overly friendly. She is now 4 and beginning to mind better, so we may let her loose on beach on a trial next time we go. She is 16 pounds.

Noy sure what parks you mean, but in State Park cgs you need to keep dog on leash

That Safeway fine place to get things you did not bring. I assume you will bring some staples from Vancouver.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,853 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A few questions

Within State Park boundaries there is a 6' leash requirement. Some cities also have a leash requirement on the beach within city limits. Other than that, Oregon as a whole does not have a "leash law", and out of a city area it's pretty easy to find a stretch of beach without many people around to let them run.

With large dogs, just use courtesy when they're off leash since some folks (and some small dogs) aren't comfortable with a big dog gamboling around them. Small dogs get more leniency since they're, well, small ;-)

It's not too unusual to see people with dogs off leash in some towns; as long as they stick right by their owners, nobody seems to mind.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A few questions

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the need for strict leash control over the kids driving the Seaside streets.

Oh, I guess I did that on occasion back in the day. :)

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,007 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A few questions

As far as dogs on Oregon Beaches, they must be under control at all times. This CAN mean voice control if the pet responds at all times, otherwise leashes are required. The exception to this is on beaches that front state parks, where the 6' leash law within the park is extended to the beach.

10. Re: A few questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 December 2010, 06:15