We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging in Sisters/McKenzie River Area

Dover, New Hampshire
Level Contributor
35 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Lodging in Sisters/McKenzie River Area

I'm planning a trip for about 6-8 adults in summer 2012 and I'm looking for reasonbly-priced accommodations in the Sisters area. We're looking for character or charm and something moderately priced for that many people. I know the McMenamin's Hotel in Bend has cottages that could work and the price is low when shared but I'd prefer to save the extra driving since we're coming from Mt Hood and likely to be hiking along the McKenzie Hwy.

Thanks.

6 replies to this topic
Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,212 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lodging in Sisters/McKenzie River Area

There are quite a few homes for rent in this area. Check VRBO or Craigslist. We have had good luck with both of those for homes in this area. You are smart to look now.

Beaverton, Oregon
Level Contributor
78 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lodging in Sisters/McKenzie River Area

Transporting that many people around can be cumbersome, but if you don't find what you're looking for IN Sisters, the St. Francis School in downtown Bend is only a 20-30 minute drive from Sisters. Maybe not ideal, but not that bad. Plus, the drive, especially heading west, is visually spectacular.

If you're coffee drinkers, check out Sisters Coffee Company.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,212 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lodging in Sisters/McKenzie River Area

I agree, Sisters Coffee Company is very good. Our go to place after hiking is the Ski Inn, right there in downtown Sisters. It's a total dive, but so good! I've been going for over 40 years, FWIW.

Dover, New Hampshire
Level Contributor
35 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lodging in Sisters/McKenzie River Area

Thanks for the responses so far... We will be needing good coffee and dive bar/restaurants are always welcome...

I'm thinking about staying at Opal Creek for a couple of nights first so we'll only need a night or two at most in Sisters or Bend. My only problem with that plan is we'll be driving from Mt Hood to Bagby-2hrs - hiking a few hours - then driving to Opal Creek - 2 more hrs - where we've got to hike the 3miles to Jawbone Flats. That might be a long day.

And I know I've been there but I can't for the life of me remember what Sisters is like. Worth seeing on its own?

Lorenzo

Edited: 05 December 2011, 20:04
Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,212 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lodging in Sisters/McKenzie River Area

The downtown itself has lots of shops and restaurants, but that is pretty much it. Honestly, I think the draw for it is the fantastic outdoor activities all around it. After hiking ,we always go to the Ski Inn for burgers and shakes. The ice cream place on the other end of town is popular too in the summer.

Some nearby places that might interest you include the Dee Wright Observatory, Wizard Falls fish hatchery (and nice trail along the river there to wizard falls), and a hike up Black Butte.

Dover, New Hampshire
Level Contributor
35 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lodging in Sisters/McKenzie River Area

Thanks, MG. We'll def. go through Dee Wright and probably do a hike through the lava. I also posted some itinerary ideas in the PDX forum. If you have a chance, could you take a look at those and let me know what you think?

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g52024-i238-k49854…

Thanks!

Reply to: Lodging in Sisters/McKenzie River Area
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sisters
More Sisters Topics