We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sisters to Smith Rock - Bike there, bus back?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
46 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Sisters to Smith Rock - Bike there, bus back?

Hello,

My husband and I will be staying in Sisters in one month. We are interested in taking the scenic bikeway to Smith Rock. It's about 45 miles one-way (we're staying at Suttle Lake). This is a pretty long bike ride for us to go one way, but the round trip is probably out of the question. Is there any way to get back without riding, such as a bus that will allow us to bring our bikes on the bus? Or, if we're stuck with the round trip ride is there a good spot to park our car and leave it for the day where we can keep our ride to about 50 miles or less?

TIA!

Mariah

4 replies to this topic
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sisters to Smith Rock - Bike there, bus back?

Aspen Lakes Golf Course is a few miles east of Sisters on hwy 126, and it's just over 50 miles round trip from there to Smith Rock. Eagle Crest Resort would work too, but it'd be only a 30 mile round trip.

I don't know of any public transportation, though.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,118 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sisters to Smith Rock - Bike there, bus back?

This might help:

http://www.cascadeseasttransit.com/

I think all bus systems in Oregon have bike racks.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,150 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sisters to Smith Rock - Bike there, bus back?

I am not a cyclist, but thrumylens is so I would definitely take his suggestions:)

We have been going to Suttle Lake for nearly 50 years, so I always smile when I see someone headed there. Enjoy:)

There is a bit of public transportation for the area, but I would definitely call and ask with your specific details. Their website is here http://www.cascadeseasttransit.com

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sisters to Smith Rock - Bike there, bus back?

I would call the resort to see if they have a shuttle. I don't think the public bus goes all the way out to Suttle Lake or Smith Rock. I think some of the shops in Bend will provide one way shuttles (try Web Cyclery or Sunnyside) but not sure about how far from Bend they travel.

Theres a good list of scenic routes on the County's website: deschutes.org/Community-Development/Planning…

Reply to: Sisters to Smith Rock - Bike there, bus back?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sisters
More Sisters Topics