We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timers

Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
729 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
First timers

I'm finally heading to Sunriver with my husband and small dog. Wondering if there are any good restaurants for us to hit that maybe do allow dogs? We are bay area who do you send your love to eat! Are all the hiking trails open the dogs? Anything we should be absolutely sure to catch? Or tips on how to avoid the crowds . We will be there during the eclipse so I imagine there will be many many others!

15 replies to this topic
Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,306 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First timers

Well I will try part of tthe answer as live just a bit north of SunRiver

Many places are dog friendly here in the area and allow for outdoor seating with your pooch.

If you check trails info from Deschutes National Forest it will tell you about dogs. To my knowledge

they are allowed on leash.

On that note and as we travel with dogs, highly advise a current id tag with cell phone number on it

and also always hiking with your dog on a leash. I know many people do not and often times on the

facebook page for missing pets here people are searching the forest and trails for their dog that failed

to return when called or went off trail on their own.

As far as avoiding crowds right now Bend to me seems extra crowded however it comes with the time of

year and all the wonderful things to do here.

Know that Highway 97 can be heavy with traffic and even more with the eclipse. We are expecting a massive surge of visitors to our area and a lot of central Oregon.

Just make sure have gas tank full, lots of water and get patience!

I highly suggest The High Desert Museum which is north of SunRiver you can't miss it coming north on highway 97 from SunRiver.

We love Lava Lands visitcentraloregon.com/central-oregon-storie…

Also to me the drive up to East and Paulina Lake is worth the time and drive.

We do not eat out much so cannot help you there. Likely check tripadvisor for local reviews of places

that look interesting to you.

Happy travels and enjoy our stunning area it is well worth the visit.

los angeles
Level Contributor
30 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First timers

Absolutely have to do the waterfall trail hike. Very easy and very impressive. Trail starts just outside the community.

Yuma, Arizona
Level Contributor
123 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First timers

when do you plan to arrive in sunriver

Edited: 09 August 2017, 02:13
Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
729 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First timers

Thank you guys for the helpful advice. We are arriving on Friday, 18 August and will be there through the 22nd

Yuma, Arizona
Level Contributor
123 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First timers

if rains in the willamette valley on Aug 21, you will not be leaving on the 22. I suggest you stay put in Sunriver on the 20th. all those folks pouring over the hill on 56 onto 95 and the turning north. Maybe state troopers will close 56 if it rains.

Corvallis, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First timers

Whoa! Please don't continue this line of thinking. There is no hwy 56 or hwy 95. Hwy 58 comes from Eugene to hwy 97. No way that either one will be closed if it rains! Rain in the valley will not prevent people from driving. (The sheer number of cars may lead to standstill on the roads, not rain.)

Yuma, Arizona
Level Contributor
123 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First timers

how do you edit after the edit button is gone after first edit?

one million people in the city of madras and to the outer extremes of the centeral oregon other tiny towns, is expected, a city of 6,000 people. 97 and 395 is the only way out south. If it rains, the folks from france, spain, england, germany holland, just a few of the folks registered at hotels, campground, private campgrounds on the coast and willamette valley are going to pay an uber driver good money o drive over 58 into the sunshine.

but I can understand how that can be fiction, because the news article, from which I took that number, published by the Weather Channel has the number wrong. The one million people is from Lincoln city to Ontario, oregon. Not a million folks in madras. That is the number that has Governor Kate Brown deploying national guard to the coast and madras area.

So my question is, does the OP of this thread know that Central Oregon is the center of the million people watching the eclispe, does the OP know that national guard have been deployed. I think that OP needs to know that leaving on the 22nd may not happen, that leaving sunriver on a sunday to bend is not a good idea.

currently there is a thread that was started in July by a visitor asking where to view the eclipse from Salem. someone responded today that they could go to the park, to the island. Good advice in July, but very wrong now less than a week out. . River front park will be a tent city, overwhelming the resources of Salem, Bush park will be a tent city, overwhelming the city of Salem, Wallace marine park will be overwhelmed. The folks who live in Salem now have a chance to camp on the park, the homeless people camping in the park and the visitors stuck, in the middle of the valley on Sunday, blankets and sheets from the mission, stores,

this forum needs to step to the plate and let folks know, the eclipse has come to the point that it is no longer a day in the park. Verda road was closed today in Keizer and tonight on the street corner we were talking about the surprise, after all, it was on-line, in the newspapers, even huge signs saying that the road was closed, with what happened to day, my neighbors here on the 45h parallel wish it would rain for the 21st

The city of Keizer has stopped the road construction for the 18th, a friday,..hmmm, that is only three days away for Monday

Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
729 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First timers

Oh my that's scary! I do know about the eclipse. My husband is an astronomer and we were hoping to get into the path of totality for the event, but not going into all the way to Madras. We only have the hotel room till the 22nd! and then have to drive back to Berkeley!

Yuma, Arizona
Level Contributor
123 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: First timers

so take a look at KVTZ a tv site and there is an article about how the forest service is closing down the foothills ,it is dated august 8th. what is happening, is that the foreset service suspend Mt Jefferson permits months ago in order for Druids to go the base of MT jefferson. A fantastic site and overwhelming viewed , by PCT hikers, as the best spot on the trail between canada and mexico, perfect for Druids, or neo-druidism the area is very large and with the lake to the north of it, it could handle all the day hikers going in for religion and photography, but now that the base of the mountain is on fire, soon to be just smoldering, they are afraid of where folks may take their cars to for a better religious experience So forest service restriced access to some other mountain tops, which means those folks have to go somewhere else,,,that being Smith Rocks, broken top or Mt. Washington. It looks like originally they were going to let Lookout towers be okay for viewing by autos, but now have changed their mind since the fire at Mt. jefferson Green ridge is a fire lookout and can still be access, just not by motor on the road to the trailhead to the lookout

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,681 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First timers

Yes your trip coincides with the solar eclipse. Watch tripcheck.com and COEmergencyInfo on FB or Twitter for road and public safety updates. Roads will be congested if not impassable. It could be difficult to find groceries and fuel. There are concerns that phone and Internet services will be overloaded.

There is an observatory in Sunriver. Have you checked with them to see what they offer for eclipse viewing?

Reply to: First timers
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sunriver
Recent Conversations