We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crooked River Dinner Train -- Redmond, Oregon

Which Sunriver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nanaimo
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Crooked River Dinner Train -- Redmond, Oregon

Has anyone tried the Crooked River Dinner Train Excursion and did you like it? It sounds like fun but I am wondering if it is worth the price??

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crooked River Dinner Train -- Redmond, Oregon

If you enter "Crooked River Dinner Train" in the Search area, above left, you will get several reviews.

Southern Oregon
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Crooked River Dinner Train -- Redmond, Oregon

We tried and made reservations for their sunday Music, Mystery & History Brunch. They cancelled four days before because they did not get enough reservations to make it worth their while. That ruined a 60th birthday celebration, then to add insult to injury they had already charged our credit card and have yet to refund it a week later! I think they are running on a shoe-string, I do not think I want to ride a train that they are responsible for maintaining. I would find something more reliable if I were you.

Central Oregon
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Crooked River Dinner Train -- Redmond, Oregon

The train used to be the number one year round attraction in Central Oregon. They just don't have the right people running it anymore and they don't know how to get it going or how to market it. They should have kept it the same it sold itself as a western theme train, then with the city shuting it down from December thropugh May it just lost it's momentom and now the new owner suffer from that. I used to be the Director of Operations for years and it saddens me that it is not on the RIGHT TRACK anymore. if you want to see what it use to be like you can view many photos and videos when I ran it just go to www.myspace.com/thejessejamestrain

I try to keep up on the latest news in regards to the train as well.

Bend, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,587 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crooked River Dinner Train -- Redmond, Oregon

The train only just recently restarted operations after being closed for quite a while, and underwent yet another management change early this month. (Article here: www.ktvz.com/Global/story.asp?S=9975828 and check out the comments here: http://www.hackbend.com/2009/03/10/crooked-river-dinner-train-re-opening.php)

I'm curious if your experience (including cancellations) was with the current operator? It's always a bummer when celebrations hit a snag. My daughter's birthday is during the "dead of winter" and one year we planned an ice skating party... but due to a "warm snap" the ice skating rink melted. Oops!

Since the original post is more than a year old... before booking it might be worthwhile to fully investigate their cancellation terms before booking. Usually attractions like this will be upfront with you about their current capacity, and can direct you to trips that are most likely to NOT be cancelled. Hope this helps.

Central Oregon
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Crooked River Dinner Train -- Redmond, Oregon

No I have nothing to do with the current owner. We rarely canceled trains but when we did we returned the money the moment we HAD to tell them about it. Sometimes you have to run the smaaler trains to get the word out because word of mouth is the number one most important advertizing and the most important to the company's reputation. Their cancelation policy should be posted on thier web site but not sure if it is but our credit card company can get your money back for you. I really hope the train gets a good start now that there is a management change.

Central Oregon
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Crooked River Dinner Train -- Redmond, Oregon

opps I mean YOUR credit card company

Oreon
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Crooked River Dinner Train -- Redmond, Oregon

The Train is under new management and is now successfully running Saturday nights this summer. We'll add more trains as demand increases.

We've contacted all passengers who have provided accurate reservation and contact information and accomodated most on other trains; we are in the process of refunding monies to those who cannot change their reservations.

We do sincerely apologize for the snags that have occurred while we are getting the Train underway. We were left with very little information in the transition and we're working to "make good" to those we've inconvenienced.

As some of the more astute comments in this forum suggest, it's always helpful if you leave accurate contact information and to check in while you're traveling if you have any questions or concerns.

Thanks again for your patiene and support and we hope to see you on the rails soon.

8. Re: Crooked River Dinner Train -- Redmond, Oregon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 07:05
portland oregon
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Crooked River Dinner Train -- Redmond, Oregon

My husband and I just rode on the Crooked River dinner Train and had a blast! The entertainment was fun and the food was yummie!! It was wonderful! A. Balfe

10. Re: Crooked River Dinner Train -- Redmond, Oregon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Sunriver