We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunriver in summer: Are snakes an issue for dogs?

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
17 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Sunriver in summer: Are snakes an issue for dogs?

I'm planning a family trip to Sunriver in August and was wondering if rattlesnakes are an issue for my 50-pound chocolate lab. I've visited Sunriver many times but never with a dog. I know that there are leash rules within Sunriver, but I expect that there will be opportunities for my dog to romp around off-leash, even it's in the yard.

Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
Level Contributor
1,353 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunriver in summer: Are snakes an issue for dogs?

We were in Sunriver last summer with our 2 lab mixes and they played around the yard and walked the neighborhood without see any snakes at all. In other places when I have seen snakes while hiking with the dogs they just seem to ignore them, squirrels and rabbits are another story, but snakes don't seem to thrill them. I would contact a local vet before you go and see if they have had any unusual snake activity, also be sure to treat with tick medicine, they can be terrible. Hope you and your Lab have fun. DM

Philomath
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunriver in summer: Are snakes an issue for dogs?

If you do see a snake they will mostly likely be of them non "venomous" type. I have been in a lot of rural areas in oregon with the dog, but have not seen any harmful snakes but that's just me.

http://www.trailquest.net/SNnonpoi.html will show you a list of the some non "venomous" snakes.

http://www.ohsu.edu/health/page.cfm?id=9877 is a good page to read if you you or someone does ever get bit...

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,896 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunriver in summer: Are snakes an issue for dogs?

I've done some trail riding around Sunriver, and we never saw nor heard any rattlers. If you plan to go off on *isolated* trails, just keep alert for the sound of rattlers (not to be confused with cicadas), and be aware of where they might be sunning themselves. Many dogs will bark at snakes, but some inner instinct keeps them away - most dogs, that is ;-)

You *might* encounter yellowjackets along trails.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,029 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunriver in summer: Are snakes an issue for dogs?

We go to Sunriver several times each year, and most of the time with our dog. I have never seen a snake there at all, and this includes hiking/backpacking all over the general vicinity of Bend. Not to say they aren't there, but they are not prominent.

Be careful with the leash rules as they are stricly enforced. Especially on the paths and around the village. At your home, it is usually ok if the dog stays in your yard. A family member was able to take their puppy to Fort Rock Park and let the pup off leash to retrieve balls, but they made sure that it was at a time that noone else was there. You just don't want to chance anything, especially since some kids/people are afraid of dogs, etc.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunriver in summer: Are snakes an issue for dogs?

Good thread. we plan to go next summer after several years of not going there, and our dog will go with us. We almost always have her on a leash anyway, but good to know we need to be sure.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,394 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunriver in summer: Are snakes an issue for dogs?

I have to add that I have never seen a rattler at Sunriver but I have seen a few in the vicnity(mostly more near Smith Rocks) right in the middle of the path. But the only time I've seen them is when there were postings in the state parks to watch out for snakes(it was a newer dated sign not the ones that just sit up there for every). But thats only twice out of many, many times over to central oregon...so no worries...

La Pine, Oregon
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunriver in summer: Are snakes an issue for dogs?

We've lived in SR for 12 years and have never seen a poisonous snake. Head out in the desert east of Bend and they are there. No worries here, and we love our dogs!

8. Re: Sunriver in summer: Are snakes an issue for dogs?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2010, 07:24
Get answers to your questions about Sunriver
Recent Conversations