We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vacation Rentals outside of Sunriver Resort

Santa Barbara, CA
Level Contributor
6 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Vacation Rentals outside of Sunriver Resort

We're planning a family reunion in August. After looking at countless condos/homes in the resort area, I came across two seemingly cool places a few miles south of the resort. The only location given was Upland. These homes have no air conditioning (a concern?) but looks very peaceful and fully river front. We're more interested in not being in a crowded fray, but want easy access to the resort amenities. Anyone have opinions on staying outside of the actual resort, know of any great houses 2 or 3 bedrooms/2+ baths, or can say whether no air conditioning is a deal breaker? Thanks!!

Edited: 25 January 2011, 19:04
Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
Level Contributor
6,087 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vacation Rentals outside of Sunriver Resort

check out this site --- www.vrbo.com

Santa Barbara, CA
Level Contributor
6 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vacation Rentals outside of Sunriver Resort

Thanks, that's where I found the places I'm considering. Do you happen to know that area, a little north of Three Sisters?

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vacation Rentals outside of Sunriver Resort

South of Sun River a few miles and a little north of three sisters does not seem possible.

Why are you worried about Sun River being too busy?. we had a family gathering there last summer and were not bothered by crowds. except at pools. That is one of pleasures of Sun River, not real crowded.

You are right to ask questions about areas away from Sun River because they do vary, but you need to be more specific

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Vacation Rentals outside of Sunriver Resort

We stayed in a home in Caldera Springs a little over a year ago: http://www.calderasprings.com/ . It's right next to Sunriver (and connected via bike-paths), but has its own amenities. Beautiful homes!!! But the real estate crash occurred before many were built, so resort facilities are very quiet as compared to Sunriver. You can find vacation rentals on www.sunriver-resort.com or other real estate agency websites.

We've spent summer weeks in central Oregon for years, most often at Black Butte Ranch. Part of the fun of that has been being in a place/resort where we parents didn't have to worry about kids hopping on bicycles and taking off to pools, golf courses, tennis courts, the lodge...... wherever. Something to consider if you've got kids included in your plans. But even as an old guy, I'd probably not choose to stay in a place where I couldn't easily access by bicycle most of a resort's attractions/facilities.

Black Butte is more at the base of the Cascades, where temps don't get as high as they do around Sunriver. Still, I can remember lots of times when we either wished we had A/C, or were glad we did. Deal breaker though? Probably not for me.

Edited: 25 January 2011, 23:07
Santa Barbara, CA
Level Contributor
6 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vacation Rentals outside of Sunriver Resort

Whoops! Meant Three Rivers.

Santa Barbara, CA
Level Contributor
6 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vacation Rentals outside of Sunriver Resort

Great info, thanks. Guess we should be rethinking this stay away from the resort itself. I'll check out the Caldera Springs area, sounds like it may just the ticket!

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vacation Rentals outside of Sunriver Resort

Mistletoe makes a good point. If you are in Sun River or right next to it, bikes can get you a lot of places. Sun River has bike paths away from the roads for most part. And many of the rentals have bikes as part of deal. The 4 or 5 we have rented have had bikes. and we made good use of them.

We also have used Black Butte a few times. It has less town stuff than Sun River, though Sisters is only a few miles away for groceries.

Away from Sun River biking would not be as good for most part

8. Re: Vacation Rentals outside of Sunriver Resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 June 2014, 15:15
Get answers to your questions about Sunriver