We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grocery stores

Chicago suburbs
Level Contributor
56 posts
23 reviews
Grocery stores

We will be in Sunriver in a rental home with 8 adults and 4 kids. I would like to do shopping somewhat close, but not in a little country store. I need groceries for the week. We are flying into Portland that day. Any suggestions on where to shop? I will probably pick up a cooler so a small distance works for us.

12 replies to this topic
Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
51 reviews
1. Re: Grocery stores

If you want to shop in Bend you have many many places to choose from.

Costco, Safeway, Albertson's, Fred Meyer, Walmart at the south end which would be on your

way south to Sun River.

Depending on your route from Portland to Sun River would think there is a Fred Meyer along

the way, they are great.

If you wait until Bend you will have a huge choice.

Many people who spend time at Sun River do the bulk of their shopping at Costco

and then head to their rental.

Also just for reference. Should you decide you need "supplies" when you are at SunRiver

Bend is only about 13 miles up Highway 97 to shopping. If there is not traffic might take

you about 20 minutes.

We live just up the road and zip down to SunRiver often.

If you are a Costco member is all you have to do is head north on 97 from SunRiver to

exit 143 and that will take you almost directly to Costco and many stores to shop at.

Edited: 10 July 2016, 21:43
Chicago suburbs
Level Contributor
56 posts
23 reviews
2. Re: Grocery stores

Thanks for the great information. We are Costco members, so we will definitely stop there. I'm glad to hear a bigger grocery store is only 20 minutes away. Our sn lives in Olympia and the Fred Meyer is so huge. I get lost in it. Any pizza or restaurant recommendations? We are really looking forward to our trip there. Coming from the west coast, east coast and Midwest!

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
51 reviews
3. Re: Grocery stores

Oh you will have a wonderful time.

Not sure what direction you will go to Costco from but the main connecting road is 27th and Highway 20. By following 27th (south) it comes all the way down and turns into Knott Road. Sounds confusing but it is not just stay on it, you will cross over a bridge on Highway 97 and will take you to your turn off for 97 and then just south to SunRiver. North and south it is exit 143 that you will need. We have great Costco here.

also in smal area is Whole Foods, Safeway, Big Lots and several places to eat.

Likely the drive will be about half hour but its not that long really. Depending where you are staying there are twoo connecting road in and out of SunRiver to get back to 97. It will all make sense when you are there.

Others that live in Bend or visit here often might be able to answer your restaurant questions. We do not eat out much because I have severe food allergies, which limits me.

You might check trip advisor for local reviews.

I will say my one favorite one when we do eat out is the Deschutes Brewery downtown Bend. Food and beer is simply wonderful, it is kid friendly too.

great area to visit we are blessed to live and play here.

There is outlet mall on the south end of Bend.

Also if you have time visit Lava Lands and consider the High Desert Museum. You will not want for things or places to do and see here.

Just being here is wonderful.

Make sure and bring a warm jacket, we have cooler nights.

Beaverton, OR
Level Contributor
29 posts
36 reviews
4. Re: Grocery stores

Dahlia: We just got back from Sunriver a week ago. We usually drive to our rental house, unload the car and then either drive back to Bend that night or wait until the next morning. We have found that buying food for a large group requires an empty trunk and part of the back seat and we just don't have the room on the way down from Portland.

We usually go to Costco for the bulk of our shopping and then Fred Meyer or Walmart for any remaining items that Costco doesn't carry. The grocery store in the Sunriver Village has enough items if you are tired the first day but the prices are higher.

If you are coming soon, there is construction on highway 97 between southern Bend and Lava Butte and the road goes from two lanes to one going south. The only time I had a major delay was on Friday evening.

As for pizza, our favorites are Pisanos Pizza in Tumalo and Flatbread Pizza at the Old Mill in Bend. Pizza Mondo in downtown is also good.

In Sunriver, we have had both Blondie's and Panini's and they are good, not great.

If you like burgers, we always stop at the Pilot Butte Drive-In. Great shakes and big burgers. If you have time, I also recommend watching a sunset up on Pilot Butte in Bend. Absolutely gorgeous as the sun goes down behind the Cascade Mountains.

We had a fun time at the Lava Lands...especially the Lave tube tunnels. Enjoy your trip!

Chicago suburbs
Level Contributor
56 posts
23 reviews
5. Re: Grocery stores

Awesome information! We will be there starting August 20. We do plan on doing big shopping the second day as you suggested

What are the lava tube tunnels? Looking for things to do with 8 - 11 year old and adults. Thanks!

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,029 posts
65 reviews
6. Re: Grocery stores

What to do in Bend? With kids? Great place, we've enjoyed it for years including as the kids reached adulthood

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g517…

BTW, Century Drive is well worth it. You can rent motor boats on one of the lakes.

Edited: 20 July 2016, 01:03
Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,029 posts
65 reviews
7. Re: Grocery stores

Here's what I referred to, good description of the drive. Higher elevation, beautiful drive, cooler.

visitcentraloregon.com/members/…

Edited: 20 July 2016, 01:06
Paris, France
Level Contributor
434 posts
8. Re: Grocery stores

FYI, the grocery store in Sunriver is not a little country store with local hayseeds sitting on the porch passing a jug. Of course it's not as big as Costco but it gets good yelp reviews for price, selection, and service.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Revie…

Edited: 20 July 2016, 14:42
Beaverton, OR
Level Contributor
29 posts
36 reviews
9. Re: Grocery stores

Dahlia: Here is the Tripadvisor link for the Lava River Cave: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Revie…

It is about a mile from the north part of Sunriver. It is low 40's in the cave, so bring a sweatshirt or jacket.

Calabasas...
Level Contributor
21 posts
22 reviews
10. Re: Grocery stores

We are a large family group flying into bend and driving to Sun River.

We have 4hours lag time between the time our plane lands and when we can get into the rental. Any suggestions what we can do during that 4 hour time frame? Is there a mall or park near the airport? We will have a 5 year old, his parents and grandparents so any ideas would be welcomed. We can also split up prior to going to the rental since we will have 2 cars.

Thanks

Reply to: Grocery stores
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sunriver
Recent Conversations