We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Columbia River Gorge Question!

Level Contributor
35,731 posts
903 reviews
Save Topic
Columbia River Gorge Question!

Would love opinions on the Dolce Skamania Lodge in Stevenson, WA. How far from Tigard is it? We have some business in Tigard and I don't really want to stay right in downtown Portland.

Also, any good wineries around this area worth visiting? Thanks!

washington state
6 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Columbia River Gorge Question!

The Lodge is beautiful. Food is excellent. Quiet walks, Lodge style rooms, HUGE rock fireplace, excellent staff. Not as nice as say the Quinault Lodge but we've stayed several times for business events and enjoyed the getaway. It is however no where near your Tigard business meeting. With traffic plan on giving yourself 40 minutes or more to Tigard.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,067 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Columbia River Gorge Question!

I realize this post is quite old, but just thought I would clarify that from Tigard it is a good 50+ miles out to Stevenson.

Syrahgirl--Did you ever end up staying there? I know you asked about it on the WA forum and I answered you.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,000 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Columbia River Gorge Question!

Funny, only a year ago, was that your first trip to Portland syrah ?

Business in Tigard means you would have been about 20 minutes from downtown Portland...why did you not want to stay in town?

I guess you must have discovered the wineries then too, the ones you always mention now- Which ones did you visit?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,967 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Columbia River Gorge Question!

Tell! Tell! I am moving to Tigard and need to know!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Columbia River Gorge Question!

What did you need to know, Chicogirl?

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,000 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Columbia River Gorge Question!

Chicogirl, post a question and we will be happy to help :)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,967 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Columbia River Gorge Question!

I was referreing to this comment

"I guess you must have discovered the wineries then too, the ones you always mention now- Which ones did you visit?"

Some one needs to make the TA person who changed this font to such a small one read it from across the room. This is painful for an old blind gal like me!

So, tell all about Tigard and wineries and the best local restaurants. I see lots of chains in Tigard - good ones, but I always love finding little local spots. We have a few awesome breakfast spots in Chico that I am going to miss!

Thanks for replying. I have my mom visiting right now and am not checking in too much.

Whatever happened to LIttleLisa = wasn't she a Portland Expert too?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,967 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Columbia River Gorge Question!

I was referreing to this comment

"I guess you must have discovered the wineries then too, the ones you always mention now- Which ones did you visit?"

Some one needs to make the TA person who changed this font to such a small one read it from across the room. This is painful for an old blind gal like me!

So, tell all about Tigard and wineries and the best local restaurants. I see lots of chains in Tigard - good ones, but I always love finding little local spots. We have a few awesome breakfast spots in Chico that I am going to miss!

Thanks for replying. I have my mom visiting right now and am not checking in too much.

Whatever happened to LIttleLisa = wasn't she a Portland Expert too?

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Columbia River Gorge Question!

There really are not wineries in Tigard. wineries are west of Tigard.

Tigard is a suburban town with mostly chain things. and more than its share of big box stores cause Lake Oswego doesn't allow them.

Tigard is presently voting on a downtown urban renewal plan which is much needed. will be interesting what voters say. They turned one down 15 years ago or more. I was on comm that formed that plan. Tigard still has a Main St but not a place you find people walking much. and a creek runs through it. could be a nice place.

There is one place the locals eat, Davidsons, family owned and has been there for years. Probably are more where locals go but we don't eat out much There are a few publike places that seem popular John Barleycorn for one. and McMenamins. .

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Columbia River Gorge Question!

Ponzi, one of the pioneering Oregon wineries, is pretty close, but as phirl writes, most of them are in an area 20-30 miles SW of Tigard.

I hope voters do pass the urban renewal plan this time around. As it is, there is no real downtown feel in Tigard; more like urban sprawl. There is one decent restaurant on Main St. though; Cafe Allegro has been around for a long time serving up consistently tasty Italian. But I wouldn't compare it favorably to any of Portland's better known Italian restaurants.

Get answers to your questions about Tigard