We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tillamook attractions--which are worth the admission cost?

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Tillamook attractions--which are worth the admission cost?

Of the following things to see in the Tillamook area, which are worth the admission cost and about how long would they take to visit? We'll have 3 kids, 14, 17 and 20 with us.

Tillamook County Pioneer Museum ($7/family)

Tillamook Air Museum ($11 adult, $6.50 youth)

Garibaldi Museum ($3 adults, $2.50 youth)

Latimer Quilt and Textile Center ($2.50 adult, $1.00 youth)

Tillamook Forest Center (free but 22 miles east of Tillamook)

About 30 of us will be staying in Manzanita for 5 days the end of July. Any other must-see attractions/museums that are worth the drive/cost between Astoria and Monterey?

Mentioned in this post
Tillamook
Tillamook
Oregon Coast, OR
Tillamook Air Museum
Tillamook Air Museum
506 Reviews
Tillamook, OR
Tillamook Forest Center
Tillamook Forest Center
128 Reviews
Tillamook, OR
Manzanita
Manzanita
Oregon Coast, OR
Astoria
Astoria
Oregon Coast, OR
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tillamook attractions--which are worth the admission cost?

The air museum is pretty cool, if for no other reason than it's house in the one remaining blimp hangar (the other burned about 15 years ago). The hangar is the largest free-standing wooden structure in the US.

My wife used to work at the Pioneer museum and I have several family artifacts that have been donated there, so for me, it's interesting. Not sure it would be for folks that do not have any ties with Tillamook County, but for those that do, it;s probably worth it.

Mentioned in this post
Tillamook
Tillamook
Oregon Coast, OR
Level Contributor
37,774 posts
959 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tillamook attractions--which are worth the admission cost?

Definitely the Air Museum, the other museums sounds interesting, I hvae not been to any of them. Also in Tillamook, don't miss the Cheese Factory there.

Astoria has several nice musuems that you would enjoy, the Flavel House, the Heritage Museum and the Martitime Museum are all worth a visit.

Don't the coast in Newport is the Oregon Coast Aquarium that is fun, beautiful scenery around this area, also. Stop at the Cape Foulweather Lookout for some awesome views of the coastline, they also have a fun gift shop with lots of cool things for souvenirs of your trip.

The Sea Lion Caves near Florence on the Southern Coast is also a fun attraction. Enjoy your travels! :)

Mentioned in this post
Tillamook Air Museum
Tillamook Air Museum
506 Reviews
Tillamook, OR
Tillamook
Tillamook
Oregon Coast, OR
Tillamook Cheese Factory
Tillamook Cheese Factory
2,454 Reviews
Tillamook, OR
Astoria
Astoria
Oregon Coast, OR
Heritage Museum
Heritage Museum
81 Reviews
Astoria, OR
Newport
Newport
Oregon Coast, OR
Oregon Coast Aquarium
Oregon Coast Aquarium
2,088 Reviews
Newport, OR
Cape Foulweather
Cape Foulweather
96 Reviews
Newport, OR
Sea Lion Caves
Sea Lion Caves
1,329 Reviews
Florence, OR
Florence
Florence
Oregon Coast, OR
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tillamook attractions--which are worth the admission cost?

Don't mean to buck the tide here, but I'm not sure I'd agree that the Air Museum is worth the cost. I visited a couple months ago for the first time in 15 years or so, and saw all I wanted to see in an hour or less. If you don't mind the drive, I think everyone would enjoy the one in McMinnville much more.

Haven't been to any of the others on your list - and I've lived most of my life in the Portland area - but next time I'm by it, I'll definitely stop at the Forest Center. The drive along the Wilson River alone justifies the trip. Still, it's too bad they put that beautiful building out in the middle of nowhere.

Are you doing the Three Capes Scenic Loop? Even if not, the kids might enjoy a stop in Oceanside, where you'll often see hang-gliders flying from the cliffs over the beach. Pretty cool, actually.

Mentioned in this post
Tillamook Air Museum
Tillamook Air Museum
506 Reviews
Tillamook, OR
Tillamook Forest Center
Tillamook Forest Center
128 Reviews
Tillamook, OR
Oceanside
Oceanside
California
Manzanita, Oregon
Level Contributor
775 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tillamook attractions--which are worth the admission cost?

I enjoy the Tillamook Air Museum but the McMinville one has more on display. If you enjoy fabric arts, the Quilt and Textile Center is well thought of, it is just south of the Tillamook Cheese factory about a mile or so, turn east onto Wilson River Loop across from Fred Meyer and just before some RR tracks on the north. They have a website you could google.

Mentioned in this post
Tillamook Air Museum
Tillamook Air Museum
506 Reviews
Tillamook, OR
Tillamook Cheese Factory
Tillamook Cheese Factory
2,454 Reviews
Tillamook, OR
Level Contributor
37,774 posts
959 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tillamook attractions--which are worth the admission cost?

There is also the Blue Heron Cheese place in Tillamook, they have really great Brie cheese there and wine tasting in the back. There is also a small petting zoo there that is kind of cool and the scenery around this area is really pretty. :)

Mentioned in this post
Tillamook
Tillamook
Oregon Coast, OR
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
139 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tillamook attractions--which are worth the admission cost?

I agree that the Tillamook Cheese Factory should be on the list (plus there is no admission cost). It's not just cheese, but yummy ice cream as well. Also, the Blue Heron cheese place, with the petting zoo, is fun as well and is right down the street from the Tillamook Cheese Factory.

Mentioned in this post
Tillamook Cheese Factory
Tillamook Cheese Factory
2,454 Reviews
Tillamook, OR
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,801 posts
1,099 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tillamook attractions--which are worth the admission cost?

Here's another vote against the Air Museum. We visited a couple of years ago and were very disappointed. The building is interesting, but you have to be a real airplane fanatic to enjoy the rest. And I think it is overpriced. I would also suggest the Spruce Goose in McMinnville. A drive yes, but well worth it.

We find the the Pioneer Museum fascinating, but we are not teenagers! It is very comprehensive, with lots of exhibits, and is outstanding for such a small town, but I suspect the kids would be bored to tears after a very short time.

The Blue Heron Cheese is more interesting than the Tillamook Cheese Factory, but you can catch them both if you'd like. I have not done the Garibaldi Museum or Quilts, but hear good things about the Forestry Center.

You're from Utah, so be sure to see at least one lighthouse while you are here. Cape Meares is the closest to Manzanita.

Drive up to Astoria and see the Astor Column and the Maritime Museum, and drive over the bridge to Washington.

Mentioned in this post
Tillamook Air Museum
Tillamook Air Museum
506 Reviews
Tillamook, OR
Tillamook Cheese Factory
Tillamook Cheese Factory
2,454 Reviews
Tillamook, OR
Utah
Utah
United States
Manzanita
Manzanita
Oregon Coast, OR
Astoria
Astoria
Oregon Coast, OR
Level Contributor
37,774 posts
959 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tillamook attractions--which are worth the admission cost?

We were in Tillamook today, the Latimer Quilt and Textile Center was really cool, it is very small, there is a short video presentation and there were ladies quilting there which was fun to watch. Gorgeous quilts on display and much history here. Worth $2.50 for sure, you should plan on about 30-45 minutes here. :)

Mentioned in this post
Tillamook
Tillamook
Oregon Coast, OR
Hillsboro, Oregon
Level Contributor
765 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tillamook attractions--which are worth the admission cost?

We went to the air museum- my son is an aviation freak and loved it but for the cost- we only spent a few hours because the rest of us were bored to tears...sorry! McMinville is more interesting. The cheese factory is a not to miss spot! Make sure at the end in the sample area you try the "squeeky cheese!" From Tillamook you can also drive the capes- Cape Mears is one of them and has a beautiful walk from the parking area to a really nice old lighthouse. Astoria as a whole is a pretty cool town to visit. Real victorian style seaside town. It would be a nice day trip though once I am settled in at Manzanita I don't want to leave!

Mentioned in this post
Astoria
Astoria
Oregon Coast, OR
Manzanita
Manzanita
Oregon Coast, OR
Level Contributor
37,774 posts
959 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tillamook attractions--which are worth the admission cost?

We took my son's girlfriend to the Cheese Factory yesterday for the first time, it was great fun. We also love the squeeky cheese, the Udderly Chocolate (Brown Cow) ice cream is also a favorite here! :)

Mentioned in this post
Tillamook Cheese Factory
Tillamook Cheese Factory
2,454 Reviews
Tillamook, OR
Get answers to your questions about Tillamook