We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aussie visitor....

Burnie, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Aussie visitor....

I will be visiting Welches from Perth, Australia, staying with a friend for all of April. I hope by then, I can discuss many topics about this area ! Weather wise, I know that it will be a bit of a shock to me, as our winter temp rarely goes below 35 - 40 F over night, and our summer temps from 90 - 105 F during the day !

See you all soon.......

Terry M

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aussie visitor....

Winter pretty much over here by April. flowers have started blooming, though maybe not at Welches. There will be some places not yet open like on Mt Hood National Forest which might limit you a bit, but a visit to Timberline lodge should be available. Lolo Pass may still be closed but not sure you want to go there anyway. even in midsummer.

In a month here in April you will probably have a few shirtsleeve days. but do bring a simple rain coat. That you will need

27 holes of golf at Welches, nice course. we have played 2 of 3 nines.

Do you have a question?

Burnie, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Aussie visitor....

Hi phirl,

Thanks for that. I have checked out numerous web sites on this part of the US. One place that I would like to go to, and my friend thinks that this will be possible is Mt St Helens. The MSH website gives an orange alert at the moment. I guess that means a bit of activety.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,470 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aussie visitor....

Mt. St. Helens is a must see! Try to go on a clear day though. And be sure to allot a full day, as there are several visitors centers and they are each worthy of some time. The one at the top, Johnston Ridge, is the one you absolutely must not miss! Since you will be here for a while, maybe you can do the other side of the mountain another day as well.

Portland, OR
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Aussie visitor....

I used to live in Perth, and now I live in Portland. I had a friend from Perth come visit me, and she really loved the coast and the mountains. Enjoy!!

Level Contributor
5,143 posts
670 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aussie visitor....

I don't know what your physical condition is, but the very best view of Mt. St. Helens is sitting on the rim looking down into the crater. If you're in good hiking shape, consider hiking to the top and enjoy the 360 degree views of the entire Pacific Northwest, as well as see the volcano as up close and personal as you can get.

Keep in mind that it will be a snow slog in April, so you'll need some warm clothes and you can rent an ice axe - no rope necessary. You can ski down pretty much from the top too. The Worm Flows route is a popular spring climbing route. In the summer, you can hike Monitor Ridge to the top.

The mountain got opened back up to climbers last year.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,372 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aussie visitor....

I am topping this for Aussie.

Burnie, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Aussie visitor....

Not sure if I am doing this blog thing right. Anyway, here goes.

Though I am in my mid sixties, ( and still working full time- - damn, something went wrong ! ), I am way above average fitness having just given up competitive road cycle racing three years ago, still ride about 150 km a week, and hike about 30 km a week.. The friend that I am staying with in the Mt Hood area, is a keen hiker and skier.

I have no experience on skis, but up until 1991, regularly competed in ice speed skating ( indoor short track ).

Level Contributor
5,143 posts
670 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Aussie visitor....

Sounds like you might have a great experience, then. You don't need to ski, you can walk down, or glissade on your backside - quite fun actually, just get some rain pants with PVC coating and bring them with you.

Burnie, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Aussie visitor....

I am prepared for the weather,but getting a taste of the opposite here in Perth at the moment. The weekend is shaping up to be around 38 C. ( 100 F ). Training rides and hiking restricted to very early in the morning.

Thanks for all the replies.

Burnie, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Aussie visitor....

Another question from me. I have done a bit of research on the net, and found reference to lyme disease carried by ticks in the Mt Hood area - and other areas. Is this a problem when hiking, and would appreciate any comments on precautions needed, such as clothing etc.

Get answers to your questions about Welches