We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel time and stops from Vancouver BC to SF

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
311 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
Travel time and stops from Vancouver BC to SF

Our ultimate destination is San Fransisco (4 nights), Napa and Sonoma (3 nights), Willamette (1 night).

We would like to drive along the Oregon Coast and make a couple of stops (perhaps 4 nights in total). We saw Astoria, Seaside, Cannon Beach and Lincoln City on a previous trip (a long time ago--but we always wanted to return to Cannon Beach to stay at the Stephanie Inn).

Thinking of:

1. Vancouver to Cannon Beach (2 nights)

2. Cannon Beach to Yachats (1 night)--would like to take a dune buggy tour.

3. Yachats to Crescent City (1 night)--want to see the Redwood Forests.

4. Crescent City to San Fransisco.

Are these good stops? How much driving time is required between CB and Yachats, Yachats and CC, CC and SF? Will we have enough time to stop for a couple of hours here and there along the way?

Thanks.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
114 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Travel time and stops from Vancouver BC to SF

Has that teeny Clarke's closed in Yachats? While it sure wasn't a Fred's it was good for milk etc in a pinch.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Travel time and stops from Vancouver BC to SF

pdxtravels,

There was an article in the Oregonian a few weeks ago about how Yachats has been hit by the bad economy. Clark's was apparently one of the victims. I think there's currently some noise about it possibly reopening, but haven't seen any details.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,212 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Travel time and stops from Vancouver BC to SF

I wouldn't worry about the Seattle traffic, although I would suggest avoiding rush hour, but that goes for almost any city. My DH works up there and so I asked if any of the construction has interferred with his commute and he said no.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,215 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Travel time and stops from Vancouver BC to SF

Wow, reading that article, you'd think the whole town was boarded up!

There are explanations for just about everything - and no, the town is not particularly "depressed". Jeez, that article was misleading!

If you read it carefully, it would seem to be a classic case of one guy overextending himself. Waaay overextending. Moved to town and saw "room for improvement"? The River House was a *huge* gamble - to put in a very upscale, very expensive restaurant in a teeny town. And he sunk $1 million into it the first couple of years? Ridiculous!

As far as his "hillside housing projects", Yachats has had water problems for years. No surprise that the water connections cost far more than he guessed they might. Wonder how much research he did?

The Landmark has been going downhill for several years. Food is not very good and once again, prices are high. It's an old dump of a building that quite honestly needs major refurbishing. The bar was the only thing keeping it going the last few years I think.

As far as the grocery store, Clark's was owned by a family for almost 30 years. They sold out to a Bend corporation 2-3 years ago, and the corporation now has big money troubles, the owner committed suicide and the corporation has defaulted on most everything it owned. Which includes the Yachats and Waldport stores. The family is trying to get the ownership back, but legal wranglings usually take nothing short of forever.

Bearing in mind that winter has just ended, and summer not yet started, the motels and restaurants are busy, at least on weekends. We ate at the Drift Inn a few weeks ago, got there early before 5 pm and by the time we left about 6:30, the place was nearly *full*. In winter. On a Sunday. Not a 3-day weekend.

Guess we just hit a bad day in Seattle then. We went by northbound about 10 am, taking 167 and 405. Slowed to a crawl on several occasions. Then went southbound on 5, about 2:30 pm, and it was slow, then "slow and stop" basically all the way from just north of the city center to Tacoma, then jammed up again around Olympia. Never did see any accidents. Just too many cars, I guess, or maybe it depends upon what each person is used to ;-)

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
311 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Travel time and stops from Vancouver BC to SF

Thanks everyone. We stayed 1 night in Yachats and loved it! We had a great room at the Ocean Cove Inn with an ocean view, and enjoyed a quiet evening just walking and enjoying the ocean and small town. We ate dinner at the Luna Sea which was really good and breakfast at the Green Salmon. That was the best coffee I had on our entire 2 week trip.

We stopped in Florence the next day and it was lovely too, but Yachats was a good stop for us. Thanks.

16. Re: Travel time and stops from Vancouver BC to SF

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2011, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Yachats