We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One night stay 8/30/14...where?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
22 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
One night stay 8/30/14...where?

Looking for a place on/near the beach here after reading some rave reviews of the area....I know most places have 2 min stay, but we only have one night before heading back for an early Flight on Monday in Seattle. Some reviews seem mixed on accommodations. Any recommendations?

Or better to stay in a nearby town maybe? we light quiet, quaint, reasonably clean room/bed. Doesn't have to be touristy...we'll mainly spend a night, stroll the beach, take photos and then be driving back north on 101 next day to Canon, Astoria, Seatac.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One night stay 8/30/14...where?

Did you check Overleaf Lodge and/or its sister property, Fireside Motel? I don't think either has a 2-night minimum stay requirement. They're neighbors on a rugged section of spectacularly scenic coastline, so not on a beach, but the 804 Trail along the shore takes you to one 1/3 - 1/2 mile north.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,012 posts
1,068 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One night stay 8/30/14...where?

I have found that many properties have figured out that they can demand minimum stays for Holiday weekends, so that's what you're bumping into, Wisertime.

You might try the Yachats Inn or, maybe the Cliff House B&B in Waldport.

Quiet towns are at a premium during Labor Day weekend. There is some lodging 6-8 miles south of Yachats at Ten Mile and they may not have minimum requirements. Might look at Beachcomber cabins or the villas at Sea Perch.

The farther north you go, the busier it gets. Where are you staying the night before?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One night stay 8/30/14...where?

I just did a quick check and found that you can get a room at Overleaf Lodge for that one night. Choice of two categories: room with two queen beds on an upper floor with an ocean view, but no balcony for $200, or a two-bedroom best-room-in-the-house suite for $500. Hmmmm...... ;-) We've stayed at Overleaf a number of times, and think it has one of the best locations on the coast, so I have no hesitation recommending it. Be nice to have a balcony though. I suspect Fireside Motel is also available, and it has lower rates, but I don't know much about room categories, as we've never stayed there.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
22 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One night stay 8/30/14...where?

I Would like a beach. Checked fireside and yachts. Kinda mixed reviews on yachts. Agate beach looks perfect in Newport. Lighthouse next door. Booked but best western nearby might do and has vacancy.

Thanks for suggestions. Will look more tomorrow.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
22 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One night stay 8/30/14...where?

I Would like a beach. Checked fireside and yachts. Kinda mixed reviews on yachts. Agate beach looks perfect in Newport. Lighthouse next door. Booked but best western nearby might do and has vacancy.

Thanks for suggestions. Will look more tomorrow.

We are coming from crater lake via 138. Anyone stayed at yachts inn?

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,012 posts
1,068 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One night stay 8/30/14...where?

The Best Western Agate Beach is an old Hilton, circa early 1980's. The rooms have been updated though. The view is good from the west side; you go down the hill to the beach and ocean. If you're interested in Newport, you might also look at The Whaler, or, for budget lodging, The Waves. Inn at Nye Beach is another idea. Newport is about 10 times bigger than Yachats so has far more lodging. There are lots more choices - check the TripAdvisor review list.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
22 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One night stay 8/30/14...where?

Thanks again. I really liked the looks of the Inn at Nye, but then read something about sewage (or the like) flowing onto the beach and bad smells from a number of people. I don't mind budget, but my GF wants something nice...not necessarily extravagant, but nice...not too run down for lack of better word. Being a photographer, I think I'd really like Agate to take advantage of the lighthouse and peninsula. It seems a little set off from the cluster of hotels. We'll be driving up the coast mostly and making stops to see the other areas of interest. Moolack shores is just the other side of the peninsula....any good?

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,012 posts
1,068 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One night stay 8/30/14...where?

Well, there was a sewage spill in December of 2012 . . .

Moolack Shores is north of town, and each room is different. It's on the highway but also ocean front.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
22 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One night stay 8/30/14...where?

Thank you everyone thrumylens and Half Brit...I think we are just going to go to the Best Western Agate. Nye had non view rooms that were pricey that were not advertised and the Whaler looked good, but this one is closer to the Lighthouse for photography and has restaurant etc....and quiet....I'll post a report when I return.

BTW Half-Brit,. my other half is a Brit ex-pat.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,012 posts
1,068 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One night stay 8/30/14...where?

:-)

Get answers to your questions about Yachats