We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Falls Trail.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
766 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Falls Trail.

Hi everyone, I am looking for feedback from anyone who has hiked the falls trail at rickets glen state park. I have looked at several websites and a book on photographing waterfalls. Each source lists the length of trail in a very different way. I have seen lengths ranging from 3.5 miles round trip to 8.2 roundttip. In order to see the waterfalls (22 named along the trail), what is the trail distance?? I understand it is steep and wet. Is it a loop?? Thanks in advance.

9 replies to this topic
Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
6,192 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Falls Trail.

It is a loop; the discrepancy is because the mileage is different depending on whether you start at the bottom of the park (from PA 118) or you start at the top (main entrance from PA 487). Access to the actual gorges loop is almost immediate from the top while you have to hike in a mile or so before you access the same loop from the bottom. The hiking from the bottom follows the creek, is relatively easy and flat and worth doing if you have the time and energy.

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,393 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Falls Trail.

Frim the top (route 487 ) it is 3.5 mile to do all 22 waterfalls. Have hiked this several times and it is well worth it, especially now,when the foliage should be very attractive. Wear hiking shoes, the trail is steep and in places sliperry from the falls.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
766 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Falls Trail.

Thanks to you both for the responses. We did this hike yesterday and we started from 118. The map said this was 7.2 miles so I don't know if that is accurate. The first third was flat and level, along the creek. The second third was downhill and not too difficult. The last third was uphill and a little challenging. It was the most amazing hike I have ever been on. It did not seem like it was a long hike either because you are stopping every few minutes for another waterfall. In addition to the 22 named waterfalls, there are innumerable smaller ones that are also breathtaking. What a wonderful place this is - it should be a National Park but I am glad it's not because it would be closed right now!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
585 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Falls Trail.

Hi, would love to do this next week but, i am not sure if my wife will be able to do the falls trail. Is it dangerous? Or will it be doable if we try to do the tough part easy and slow?

What would be an alternate trail if we do not do do falls trail and still want see falls? And what will we be missing out.

Thanks!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
766 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Falls Trail.

Well, I think Falls Trail is one of the most phenomenal things I have seen ( and I have travelled quite a bit!!). If your wife can't hike at all there is still Adam's Falls you could see but if at all possible I would try to do the Falls Trail. I don't know what kind of condition your wife is in but we did see people of all ages/weights/etc doing the hike. I would say do it slow, carry water, stop for breaks, and if you are in reasonably good shape you will probably be okay. It is steep in places and it is not smooth going - the footing can be very uneasy. The trail was wet in places and could be slippery. People do get hurt here frequently so definitely be careful.

I would follow the other posters advice for shortening the trail - we did not go that way but it looks like it shaves some significant mileage off. One good thing is that there are SO MANY waterfalls, you will not walk far before you are stopping to admire scenery/ take pictures/ be amazed. Have fun!! The weather this weekend could not have been any better.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
585 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Falls Trail.

Thanks so much!

Do you know or can you recommend which trail will skip the steep and slippery part that you have mentioned And not miss a lot?

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,393 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Falls Trail.

No trail will skip the steep and slippery part and still see the falls. The falls trail basically follows the streams. Obviously with 22 falls in 3.5 miles, the terrain will be steep. Obviously with a dirt trail near all those falls and spraying water, parts of the trail will be wet and slippery.

You can go as far on the trails as you feel comfortable and then turn back.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
6,192 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Falls Trail.

I must respectfully disagree with the last poster; if you start from PA 118 and hike along the creek to Waters Meet (where the steep loop starts) you will see 3 of the 22 or so falls.

I also read some time ago that there was momentum back before WW1 to make Ricketts Glen a national park but then the war broke out and it never happened.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
766 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Falls Trail.

One last thing to keep in mind is that the steep part will come on the way out- when you are already tired. We hiked down into the glen and that part was easy, it was the hiking out that was hard!! Let us know how you fare this weekend- have fun!!

Reply to: Falls Trail.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Benton