We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

toddler and a newborn?

Level Contributor
96 posts
Save Topic
toddler and a newborn?

We are planning to go to the rickets glen state park in couple of weeks.. we will have our 2 month old in a baby carrier and a 2.5 year old walking with us. Doable or not?

is it dangerous with kids?

7 replies to this topic
Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,393 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: toddler and a newborn?

I'd be reluctant to do much of the Falls Trail(the one with 21 waterfalls in a little over 3 miles) with a 2 and a half year old.

The trail is steep, and, in many places wet and slippery from the spray from the falls.

Level Contributor
96 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: toddler and a newborn?

really?

we are in PA for only two years and thought we shall take advantage of this summer!

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,393 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: toddler and a newborn?

Well, you could always start out and see how far you get. The trail from the bottom reaches more falls before getting steep than the trail from the top (Rose Lake)

Edited: 06 June 2014, 20:46
Level Contributor
96 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: toddler and a newborn?

hmm so how many falls can you see if you do a short route? that is if there is such a thing!

or probably we can stick to other state parks for now. I was looking forward to seeing the falls but may be some other day :)

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,393 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: toddler and a newborn?

www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/findapark Look for yourself. The 3.2 mile trail is a loop. Not doing the whole thing means backtracking

Edited: 06 June 2014, 21:05
Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,393 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: toddler and a newborn?

I should add that I've hiked this several times most recently two years ago. Its a beautiful hike with waterfalls varying in height from 94 feet to less than 20. Not usually too much wildlife (although we did see a porcupine crossing one of the bridges on the trail two years ago).

its best seen in spring when the water in the creek is higher , although that increases the spray and consequent slipperiness of the trails.

Wear hiking boots.

Level Contributor
96 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: toddler and a newborn?

thank you for your help.

I wont take the risk with a very active toddler on slippery slopes.. we have decided to go to Hickory run state park for now. May be PA will call us back some day and we will get to visit Rickets Glen when kids are a bit older :)

Reply to: toddler and a newborn?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Benton