We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any nice hotels in the Poconos?

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,028 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Any nice hotels in the Poconos?

We are going to Camp Jeep in Aug. it is at the Jack Frost Ressort Pocono Mts, Blakeslee, PA. I have been to the Pocono's a few times and could never find a nice place to stay, all of the hotels & resorts are run down, dirty & old. I only found 2 places that got good reviews, the Holiday Inn Express & the Comfort Inn in Mt. Pocono but they are booked. I don't know why all the the hotels in the Pocono's are so nasty, the ads all say it is a great place to vacation or honeymoon I disigree, and when you read all of the reviews of hotels in the poconos you will see they all think the same as i do. So if you know of a new or nice place to stay in that area, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!!!!!

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any nice hotels in the Poconos?

I agree, I've stayed at a few places in that area, not a good experience. We are going to try the Bed & Breakfast route, more expensive than a typical hotel in the area but many places have good/great reviews from other users here. We are going to stay at Pine Hill Farm, no reviews but run by the same folks at Cliff Park Inn.

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,028 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any nice hotels in the Poconos?

I guess I will have to answer my own question, I stayed there for 4 nights it has been updated but they do not maintain it. The outdoor pool had about a foot of water that was dark green and a pool vacuum on the bottom. The indoor hot tub was too hot the get into. I told the guy at the front desk and he said it was fine but never even looked at it. A guy in the lobby overheard our conversation and he check it and said that it was at least 115-120 degrees, the front desk still did nothing about it. Our room was a non-smoking room that had a heavy smoke smell, I ask at the front desk what they could do, he handed me an empty can of air freshener with the I don't really care attitude. The sink in our bathroom was falling of off the wall, and the heat lamp in the ceiling was missing a bulb.

Chicago
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Any nice hotels in the Poconos?

My experience please beware.

Do not book your hotel thru 800poconos.com it can cost you $$

I mistakenly booked a room for comfort inn poconos via the www.800poconos.com website with the belief that it was within walking distance to major attractions. The lady at choice point did not know where these so called attractions were and told me I had to call the hotel directly. That should have warned me about how shady this was going to be.

So I called the hotel directly and finally got the desk clerk to admit that any kind of attraction was about 20 minutes away by car. So silly me asked to cancel my reservation, only to be told that it was too late to cancel and that they would still charge me for the night no matter what. So I asked to speak to the manager who said he can't do anything and said I had to call the 1800 number where i made the reservation. After running me around in circles the lady said they would lodge a complaint!

Bear in mind that I made the reservation about 3:40pm and when I called to cancel it was 4:20pm the same day????

Needless to say I WILL NEVER USE CHOICE PINT AGAIN, sounds like a scam they have going with comfort INN.

My advice to all do not use choice point websites, call the hotels directly and make your reservations with then that way! and don't use Comfort Inn Poconos they are a rude set of people!!

Southeast PA
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Any nice hotels in the Poconos?

Great Wolf Lodge is the newest in the Poconos. The rooms should be nice... they look nice in the brochure....but it's pricy, because it comes with the waterpark.

Phoenixille PA
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any nice hotels in the Poconos?

I just stayed at the Best Western in Blakeslee this past week and I thought it was great! Clean rooms, nice and very clean indoor pool, and staff were pleasnat and helpful. It was a good midway point for us as we had planned evets including white water rafting and Camel beach. I would strongly recomenr this hotel. Reasonable rates during the week, too- well below $100.00 with AAA.

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
91 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any nice hotels in the Poconos?

Try The Settlers Inn, in Hawley, PA (northern edge of the Poconos, a few miles from Lake Wallenpaupack). I live in the area and have never stayed there, but the restaurant is good, it;s very well maintained, and the rooms look quite charming in their brochure. Also, East Shore Lodging, right across the street from Lake Wallenpaupack. I booked a colleague in there a few weeks ago. It looks like nothing from the outside (due to large asphalt parking lot and no landscaping), but the rooms are huge, clean and quite nicely furnished, many with pine log beds. Nice people, too.

If you can afford to spend a bit more, The French Manor just ouside of South Sterling, PA is a gorgeous reproduction of an actual stone chalet in France, quite elegant and set on spacious, landscaped grounds with gorgeous views. Their restaurant has excellent french gourmet cooking, athough the service is amatuerish.

Ocean City, NJ
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
535 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any nice hotels in the Poconos?

Thanks for those recommendations! Didn't know either of them existed, but they look really nice and will definitely give them a try.

http://www.thefrenchmanor.com (South Sterling, PA - owners of the Sterling Inn)

http://www.thesettlersinn.com/ Hawley, PA (near Honesdale)

8. Re: Any nice hotels in the Poconos?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2009, 18:19
Get answers to your questions about Blakeslee