We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

“ Advice for 2013 Groundhog Day in Punxsutawney ”

Which Clarion hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
52 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
“ Advice for 2013 Groundhog Day in Punxsutawney ”

We are driving into Altoona Friday night and staying there. What time should we get up and drive to Punxsutawney in time to park at Wal-Mart or elsewhere and take a shuttle to Gobblers Knob?

Any tips on where to park and where to have a good breakfast afterwards are most appreciated.

Hoping traffic isn't too bad in and out of town, though since this year it's on a weekend, it could be at least 40,000 people. The guys at the crash pad at the community said that's what they got the last time it was on a weekend.

Thanks so much!

3 replies to this topic
Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,364 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: “ Advice for 2013 Groundhog Day in Punxsutawney ”

GallivantinGal, I realize this post is too late to be helpful, but your thread gave me a chuckle.

I've never attended, nor will I, but I'd assume that a crowd of some 40,000 cramming into a small rural town and then all wanting to leave at the same time would negatively impact traffic. That, and the fact that you can see it better in the comfort of your living room (while drinking early morning beers if you choose to) is why I don't go.

Hope you had fun.

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
52 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: “ Advice for 2013 Groundhog Day in Punxsutawney ”

Thanks for your response! We DID have fun! It was a blast. I haven't seen that much camouflage clothing in a long time. We woke up and left the hotel in Altoona, had breakfast at what is the most amazing Sheetz I have ever been in (they had EVERYTHING that all the Sheetz I've ever been to have) and then got on the road about 4:30. We drove on 36 over a small mountain pass to Punxsutawney. Thank goodness the snow was very light. Got there about 6:00 a.m. They have the logisitics down to a science. Police were well prepared. Sign with what radio station to tune in to (FM 104.1, I think) are up as you drive into town. Got info tehre about parking and the crowd at the Knob. Buses are brought in from surrounding school districts to help shuttle folks up to Gobbler's Knob. Signs direct you to parking. We said our Hail Mary as we were driving around Groundhog Plaza and a car pulled out right near us. Quick walk to downtown Punxsutawney near the McDonald's to get in line to buy tickets for the bus and then to board them for the Knob. We got up there at 6:30. LAYER your clothing. And keep those toes warm. It was ten degrees. They have a pre-program, though they certainly could use some more speakers. We were so excited! Dancing to the music, singing the National Anthem loudly and proudly. The furry little guy came out and everyone cheered! SO worth the trip! A little slice of Americana. Guy on the shuttle bus to the Knob had told us a tip: "As soon as they announce the prognostication, run for the buses if you want any shot at eating a meal before lunch." We did, and it was worth it, since we got downtown at the head of the crowd. Walked ten minutes to Punxsutawney Phil's Family Restaurant just outside of town. (Take a left at the Rite-Aid and keep walking). Though we waited half an hour, it was worth it, and also, you have some interesting conversations with the locals or the die-hard fans who come every year. One woman shared her tattoo story with me. She gets one every year she comes. Twelve years in a row she's come. Six of the years, she got the tat of the little pawprint done right here in Punxsy. At the local tattoo parlor, "Spike's my guy."

We rolled out of town about 11 am after checking out the town square and all the vendors, the antique shop, and taking a photo with Phil. It was a blast. We are already talking about NEXT year. Who knows, I may have to get a tat myself next time. :)

Auburn, Washington
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: “ Advice for 2013 Groundhog Day in Punxsutawney ”

Thank you for your advice, gallavantingal, my family is planning on going this year and it's nice to read helpful advice from somebody that has actually been! Any other tips you could share with us? What would you have done differently? What must we do while we're there?

Thanks!

Reply to: “ Advice for 2013 Groundhog Day in Punxsutawney ”
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Clarion