We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Toronto
Level Contributor
23 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Directions - Danville to Strasburg

In May we're staying in Danville for Knoebels before heading down to Strasburg & Lancaster. Can anyone suggest the best (ie. most straight-forward) route to take from Danville to the Strasburg area? Thanks!

scw
Bear, Delaware
Level Contributor
479 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Directions - Danville to Strasburg

We are frequent visitors to both Knoebels and Lancaster County's PA Dutch Country. Will be at Knoebels opening weekend (4-26) and over Memorial Day weekend, too. My suggestion for travel from Danville to Lancaster would be: take Rt. 54 south to Mt Carmel and pick up Rt. 61. Take Rt. 61 south to Reading and then get onto Rt. 222 towards Lancaster City, where you'll pick up Rt. 283 east towards Rt. 30. Rt. 30 east to Rt. 896 south will take you to Strasburg. Don't forget to visit Bird-in-hand and Intercourse while you're in the area.

Steve

PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
2,989 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Directions - Danville to Strasburg

Here is an alternate route:

Take US route 11 south to US route 11 & 15 south toward Harrisburg

In Amity Hall, take the ramp onto US route 22/322 east toward Harrisburg

In Harrisburg, take the ramp onto Interstate Route 81 north toward Hershey

Take exit 70 Hershey/York/PA Turnpike onto Interstate Route 83 south

Take a left fork onto Interstate 283 South toward airport/PA Turnpike

Take exit 1A/Airport/Lancaster onto PA Route 283 East

Merge onto US route 30 east

Follow route 30 to route 896 south into Strasburg

Enjoy your stay - Knoebel's is a great family amusement park! Another great tourist site in that area is the Pioneer Tunnel Coal Mine.

http://www.pioneertunnel.com/

Toronto
Level Contributor
23 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Directions - Danville to Strasburg

Thank you both kindly! Funny how there doesn't seem to be a nice, direct route down to Lancaster (I'm sure there is - and it's probably very scenic too - but I don't exactly feel like taking chances on small country roads).

Looking at the map, would this make sense as well?

- 54 south to 61

- 61 south/east to I-81

- I-81 south to I-78

- I-78 east to 501

- 501 south to Lancaster

SCW - I was looking at 61 on a map - is it a divided highway? And yes we're definitely finding the time to visit Bird-In-Hand and Intercourse (and of course Dutch Wonderland).

FlyEagle - thanks for the recommendation re: Pioneer Coal Mine. It might be something fun and a little different, especially if we have extra time in the Danville area.

Thanks again.

scw
Bear, Delaware
Level Contributor
479 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Directions - Danville to Strasburg

I've always wondered why it took over 3 1/2 hrs to go about 125 miles, too. It must be all of the traveling up and down the mountains that adds to the time. Route 61 is mostly a divided highway except for a few villages north of I-81. I've never traveled 501 any further north than Lititz. Can't help you there, except to say stop in Lititz and visit the Sturgis Pretzel House and Wilbur's Chocolate. I hope your kids are very young. Dutch Wonderland is not for adults and teens. I hope you enjoy your time in the states. If you have the time while you're in Lancaster County swing by my state of Delaware. All of the shopping is tax free.

5. Re: Directions - Danville to Strasburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 01:19
Get answers to your questions about Danville
Recent Conversations