We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Commuting from Doylestown to NYC

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
195 posts
166 reviews
Save Topic
Commuting from Doylestown to NYC

Hi, we currently live in the NYC metro area but are thinking about moving to Doylestown. My wife works from home and I have to commute into the city (lower Manhattan) 4-8 times a month so there is some flexibility.

Currently I drive 1 hour each way and the ride is 30 miles or so. We saw online the drive time from Doylestown is about 1.5 hrs and 70+ miles.

I know its crazy to commute every day that far, but we are wondering what locals who may do the same think of driving it in just 4-8 times a month? Doable long term or not? I've never driven that far on a consistent basis and I am a bit apprehensive.

We really love the area around Doylestown so we are hoping we can make it work.

Cheers!

Edited: 12 August 2014, 04:14
11 replies to this topic
Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
9,313 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Commuting from Doylestown to NYC

Drive to Trenton and take either AMTRAK or NJT. AMTRAK is more expensive, but much faster. Most NYC commuters take NJT, but they are daily, so the savings is significant. For 4-8 times/month, I'd take the faster and much more comfortable AMTRAK. 45 minute drive to Trenton. 60 minutes to NYC by AMTRAK, 90 minutes (or more, depending on number of stops) via NJT. That drive time of 1.5 hours is with no traffic. Rush hour is minimum 2 hours, probably more.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
195 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Commuting from Doylestown to NYC

Hi. Thanks for the reply. How is the Trenton train station and the surrounding area? Many have told me Trenton is a bit seedy. Is it a concern if I am coming back at 8 or 9pm or let's say my wife and kids come to the city at 5pm.

Doylestown...
Level Contributor
1,189 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Commuting from Doylestown to NYC

If you're concerned about safety at the Trenton station, just drive 10 minutes further north on Rt. 1 to the Hamilton Station. You can only pick up NJT there, not Amtrak, but parking is a lot cheaper.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
195 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Commuting from Doylestown to NYC

Thanks that's helpful. Would you say door to door 1.5 hours is possible or is it more like 2 hours? I know I'm not giving specific addresses so just generally speaking.

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
9,313 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Commuting from Doylestown to NYC

Check the NJT web site for train schedules. FWIW, the Trenton train station has a parking garage directly across the street from the rear entrance. The rate is reasonable and the garage is relatively secure. There is also a garage across the street from the from front entrance, but IMO it is less secure. In general, Trenton is not the kind of place you want to wander around, but it is fine of you know where you are going. My wife works there, and we have been to restaurants, bars, museums, and concerts there and have never had a problem. It is very easy to get lost there, so do preliminary exploring during the day, and consult a map in advance.

conn
Level Contributor
3,082 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Commuting from Doylestown to NYC

Doylestown has train service to Phlie if you don't want to drive

Doylestown...
Level Contributor
1,678 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Commuting from Doylestown to NYC

Hi Purewaves,

I live in Doylestown and have to travel to NYC about 4-8 times per month - sound familiar?

Driving would take at least 2.5 hours in peak traffic conditions - throw in an accident or jam and who knows! I drive to Hamilton train station, which takes 45-50 mins even in peak traffic - there are plenty of back ways you can take to the I-95/295. Parking is currently $7.00 for all-day commuters. Allow 10 mins to park your car, walk to the platform and purchase your ticket. Express trains (NJ Transit) take about 70 mins in the morning to Penn Station. You could also get off at Newark Penn and take the PATH, depending on where you have to go. Avoid the all-stops trains as it takes 90+ mins. In the afternoon/evening, the express trains are a little faster and take just 60 mins back to Hamilton.

We moved to Doylestown from London, UK, and we really enjoy it - very safe, good facilities, good schools, plenty of green space nearby and relaxed, friendly people. There are also great schools in the area.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
195 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Commuting from Doylestown to NYC

Thanks Owlyn, great stuff.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
195 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Commuting from Doylestown to NYC

Thanks Mutiny. So basically 2 hours+ each way. That's pretty nuts. Have you ever taken the Amtrak?

Doylestown...
Level Contributor
1,678 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Commuting from Doylestown to NYC

No, I haven't tried the Amtrak train because the cheapest ticket is about $80.00 return versus $30.00 from Hamilton. I have heard some people say that the Amtrak train from Trenton is 45 mins, but whenever I check the schedules it states around 60 minutes so I don't think you save much time and the Trenton car park is not much closer in time than the Hamilton car park.

Reply to: Commuting from Doylestown to NYC
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted