We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Knoebels cottages

Level Contributor
127 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Knoebels cottages

Has anyone stayed at The Woodlands Cottage owned by Knoebels?

14 replies to this topic
Morris County, NJ
Level Contributor
698 posts
1,002 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Knoebels cottages

I have stayed at the campground and was not impressed. Their bathrooms were some of the filthiest that I have ever seen. I don't even want to think of what the cottages might be like.

Level Contributor
127 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Knoebels cottages

Thanks. I have talked to the rental office in more detail and I would be renting an empty house--no spoons, pots, plates, A/C, basic TV..... No thanks!!!!!

Central PA
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Knoebels cottages

We rented this one, creek in the back to cool off, right across the street from the park.

http://cozycreekcottage.com/

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
15 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Knoebels cottages

Hi! There are some nice BandBs in the area as an alternative. Some are listed in the Elysburg listings - another is Beagle's Bed and Breakfast in Paxinos, about ten minutes down 487. I've stayed there and thought it was nice! I wrote a review which you may be interested in. I've been coming to Knoebels since the mid 1950s!

1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Knoebels cottages

Anyway you vould get.me.in contact with the people who own this i stayed here about 4 years back me and few buddies are lookin for perfect spot

Mid Atlantic
Level Contributor
232 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Knoebels cottages

My family has stayed in Knoebels Cottages for at least one week annually for the past 15 years. The cottages are--shall we say--"quaint." To me, that is part of the charm and the fact that you can park your car and walk back and forth to the pool and rides means more than having luxury amenities. It is also really great to be able to come home to our cottage and cook or grill our own meals and take naps when needed (really important when kids were little). Convenience is key and the cottages are a step up from camping.

Best way to see what they are like is by taking a look at the cottages on-line:

knoebels.com/stay/…scrollpoint_61590

We have not stayed in Woodlands but know the location. It is up a hill across from the lumber yard. I prefer this area because it is quieter at night. There are only a string of other cottages up there and it's pretty darn private. If you are there for a week, you'll probably find yourself grilling out. It's a great place to have an outdoor fire with s'mores. (Each cottage has an outdoor grill and fire ring for campfires.) Many of our kids' the best Knoebels memories are of stories told around our campfire at the cottage.

There is a small local grocery store (Boyers) nearby for supples. A large Walmart is about 20 minutes or so. Mausser's Meats (about 10 minutes away) has incredible smoked pork chops that are great to grill.

Mid Atlantic
Level Contributor
232 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Knoebels cottages

As for the history...many of these cottages were built preWWII as vacation getaways. (Remember Knoebels was basically a swimming hole back in the day.)

Many cottages were built as novelties shaped like a boat, schoolhouse, or covered wagon. This was common for attractions during that time. Several of them remain as rentals. They are pretty cool! But all the cottages are old and in various configurations. Knoebels has done a great job of updating the cottages --renovating bathrooms, installing air conditioning and other upgrades-- to make them more appealing to today's tourists but they are not posh by any stretch of the imagination

As for what is included--generally we've found a fully functional kitchen with all major appliance as well as toaster, microwave and coffeemaker. There usually are pots, pans, plates, silverware etc. Some years we find more of one thing or another in the cottage--items seem to migrate between cottages probably when multiple cottages are rented by same family. That said, there's no dishwasher so we usually get cheap disposables to use while we are there.

You can rent linens through the park office and the beds will be ready for your arrival. You need to supply your own towels. We usually bring a lot of beach towels and use them for pool as well as showers.

We also bring folding chairs. Most cabins have outdoor seating--some even have swings, picnic tables etc--but we like having folding chairs around the fire at night.

You might also want to bring bikes. Bikes can be used in the park in the morning before the park opens. You can also run/jog through park and back by golf course.

Mid Atlantic
Level Contributor
232 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Knoebels cottages

Yes, there are other decent BnBs in the area. There are also decent hotels in Danville and Bloomsburg. The closest BnB is The Latorre House, located across the main road from Knoebels and within walking distance of Knoebels. We stay there frequently when visiting for less than a week.

It all depends on your group, its preferences and your length of stay. Less than a week, don't rent a cottage. If you are okay with driving back and forth to the park, stay in nearby hotel or BnB. There are links on the Knoebels website to nearby lodging places.

The only truly upscale place is The Inn at Turkey Hill in Bloomsburg. The Pine Barn Inn in Danville is also quite nice but has more of a corporate feel than Turkey Hill. The closest hotel to the park is Knight Inn, which used to be Glossers. Under new management, it may have improved but it used to be a bit of a pit. We've stayed there but wouldn't recommend it based on our experience (which admittedly was several years ago).

Good luck with your planning and hope that all this info helped.

Mine Hill, New...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Knoebels cottages

What about the cleanliness of the places. They look so run down and outdated and I worry they smell and the carpets may be nasty.??

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Knoebels cottages

Anyone been to whispering pines cottage? It is not listed online but knoebels told me it is what they use for family. Hoping it is ok.

Reply to: Knoebels cottages
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Elysburg
More Elysburg Topics