We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

City Motel

Which Erie hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
5,263 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
City Motel

Does anyone have any practical info on this place? I'm looking for cheap accommodations in that area of town, but there isn't much in the way of reviews on it. Just trying to figure out if it is a nice little retro motel or a total dive. Any advice would be appreciated.

Erie, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Erie
Level Contributor
198 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: City Motel

Really bad neighborhood. Shootings common.

Erie, PA
Level Contributor
85 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: City Motel

I would consider other options. Will you have a car while here in Erie? It's worth driving the extra 5 or 10 minutes for a few varied budget friendly choices.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
5,263 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: City Motel

Thanks. I will have a car and I had seen other, shall we say, better looking options. I liked the idea of being centrally located, but didn't want to book a place with so little information available without doing a little digging.

Erie, PA
Level Contributor
85 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: City Motel

Being centrally located in Erie and specifically to downtown Erie area (State St) can be a hard task when it comes to lodging. I have stayed at the Avalon Hotel recently. All in all it's a good property but it had air conditioning problems when I was there. I've stayed at the Knights Inn in the past year. It is definitely needing some renovations but if your just wanting a bed and to save some $ it's doable. It's walking distance to State St. and all of the fun establishments. As a general rule of fun, you'll want to stay anywhere west of State St. area. There's some good hotels located between downtown and Presque Isle that may fit what you are looking for. Let me know if you want any recommendations, if you are still looking.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
5,263 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: City Motel

I'll certainly take recommendations. I won't be there for a few months, but I figured I'd poke around and see what I could find. The Avalon is an option, and I considered Knights Inn for location purposes. I do like the traditional "mom and pop motels and found a few farther west that look like the old Route 66 style that I prefer. Unfortunately there is only one of those listed on TA (the Riviera, I believe). Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Toledo, OH
Level Contributor
871 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: City Motel

How about the George Carrol house? It's a very nice bed and breakfast at a reasonable rate.

Whitby, Canada
Level Contributor
604 posts
664 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: City Motel

Don't know of the City Motel. I've stayed at the Avalon many times (but not since the Erie Marathon start has moved from State and E26th). The Avalon was always comfortable, but looked dated. Since you'll have a car I think you're better off being close to I-90 as there are more shopping and dining options and more accommodations.

Whatever you do, do not consider the El Patio Motel which is on Peninsula Drive and W6th !!! I made the mistake of staying there back in 2007 or 2008, and cannot understand how it is still in business.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
5,263 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: City Motel

Thanks for the tips. For now it looks like Avalon and Knights Inn are the two best options location-wise. If I go the motel route, I was considering Riviera, Meads, Park Plaza or Lake Erie Lodge, two of those with listings here. If anyone has any knowledge of Meads or Park Plaza, i'd appreciate any advice there.

Toledo, OH
Level Contributor
871 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: City Motel

Don't stay at the Riviera. My trip report began with, "Those sheets are permanently stained." That's what the front desk guy told me when I complained about stains on the sheets. He was trying to tell me they were clean, but that there are stains that don't come out in the wash. Gross!

10. Re: City Motel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2013, 04:16