We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Harrisburg-Good Location?

Louisiana
Level Contributor
73 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Harrisburg-Good Location?

I have never been to PA before and we are planning a trip in April. Would Harrisburg be a good location to stay that would allow me to explore many areas of PA ands surrounding states? Also, could anyone recommend hotels in that area?

Pa
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Harrisburg-Good Location?

Harrisburg is a good place to stay just remember to book your hotel outside of the city.Try to look for a hotel in enola,camp hill,or anywhere at least 5 mins from the city.From harrisburg it may take a while to get to pittsburg but to philly its about a 1 and half to 2 hour drive.If you want to go to other states think about new york,delaware,and new jersey,they are the easiest to get to.A tip is to remember to try to stay out of steelton and DO NOT GO ON ALLISON HILL.You'll know it when you see it.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
73 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Harrisburg-Good Location?

OK, OK I should have been more specific. I have Never vacationed in this part of the country. We typically go to Colorado & Tennessee, but would like a change this year. I would like to visit the Amish areas, Gettysburg, and Philadelphia. Since we'll be in the area, we were wondering if these places would be possible day trips: Baltimore, Atlantic City, New York. We really love scenic drives, so if anyone has suggestions for this in PA or surrounding states, I'd love the advice. Thanks to everyone.

P.S. - I just love Tripadvisor!!!!!!!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Gettysburg
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
Philadelphia
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
Atlantic City
Atlantic City
Jersey Shore, NJ
New York
New York
United States
PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
3,157 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Harrisburg-Good Location?

If you stay in Harrisburg, day trips to Baltimore, Atlantic City, and New York are all possibilities. There is a bus company in Harrisburg that runs day trips to AC and NYC. More info at http://www.capitoltrailways.com/default.html

Baltimore is an easy car trip - 78 miles, hour and a half trip south on Interstate 83.

Mentioned in this post
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
Atlantic City
Atlantic City
Jersey Shore, NJ
New York
New York
United States
14. Re: Harrisburg-Good Location?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2009, 11:19