We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Connecting with I-81 North at Harrisburg, PA

SE VA
Level Contributor
62 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Connecting with I-81 North at Harrisburg, PA

We will be travelling north on US 15 to connect with I 81 North at Harrisburg, Question: for the easiest, least congested connection, is it recommended to take Rte 581 east or 581 west to link up with I 81 north? Or should we consider connecting with 81 via the Pa. Turnpike south and west of Harrisburg?

Central PA
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Connecting with I-81 North at Harrisburg, PA

It mostly depends on the time of day you would hit 15/581 in Camp Hill. They've made some improvements to 581 East from Camp Hill to the York 83 split by adding a lane, which helps with back-ups. If you can, avoid the morning and afternoon rush hours, that would be huge. If not, then take 15 to 581 West (left turn lane at first light) and hit 81 after a few miles. You will avoid the 3 to 2 lane issues and heavy traffic that always affect 581 East.

SE VA
Level Contributor
62 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Connecting with I-81 North at Harrisburg, PA

Mike0917: Thanks very much for the good directions. Unfortunately, we will probably hit the afternoon rush, but forewarned is forearmed!

Central PA
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Connecting with I-81 North at Harrisburg, PA

In that case use 581 West.

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
27 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Connecting with I-81 North at Harrisburg, PA

US15 to 2nd street in Harrisburg will not be very busy at that time. Then just take 2nd street(one way - first turn after the bridge over the Susquehanna River) out to 81 N which is only about 2-3 miles. 81 north will probably be pretty congested at that time though.

5. Re: Connecting with I-81 North at Harrisburg, PA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 18:16