We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning day trip in Harrisburg/Hershey

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
275 posts
488 reviews
Save Topic
Planning day trip in Harrisburg/Hershey

Hi all!

Planning to fly into NYC late October this year for 2 days, leaving early Sunday via Amtrak to get to Harrisburg and visit nearby "all that's Hershey" for an overnight stay and leave mid-day the following day to Philly. My question: like to have a good amount of time to visit Harrisburg and get a car (or other transport) to visit Hershey. Where is the best place to stay overnight...in Harrisburg and see Hershey the next day or the other way around? Are car rentals readily available in downtown Harrisburg? (I would assume). Is there another way to get to Hershey (private transport/tours)? I want to be in Philly by Monday late afternoon, again, via Amtrak.

Thanks in advance. My daughter and I will be visiting Pennsylvania for the first time.

PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
3,133 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning day trip in Harrisburg/Hershey

You will need to rent a car to get to Hershey. The problem with arriving on a Sunday is that most car rental places are closed. There is a Budget Car Rental location open until 12 noon on Sunday at 4612 Jonestown Road, Harrisburg. You could take a taxi from the train station to their location or if you contact them, maybe someone would pick you up at the train station. There are car rentals at the airport open on Sunday but that doesn't really help you. Since seeing the Hershey area is your main objective, I would recommend staying in Hershey. It is about a 20 minute drive from Harrisburg to Hershey, could be a few minutes more if traffic is bad.

gettysburg, pa
Destination Expert
for Gettysburg
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning day trip in Harrisburg/Hershey

Hershey Lodge provides shuttle service to and from the train station:

www.hersheylodge.com/location/index.php

It would be a nice place to stay for your Hershey trip.

You can rent a car through Enterprise at the Lodge as well:

visithersheyharrisburg.org/members/enterpris…

Good luck with your planning!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
275 posts
488 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning day trip in Harrisburg/Hershey

We are seriously thinking of staying at The Inn at Westwynd Farm, Hummelstown which looks like a really neat place not too far from Hershey World. Again, that would mean getting some type of car on a Sunday early afternoon (need a place to put our small luggage - 1 pc ea) and either drive to the Inn right away or stroll around downtown Harrisburg for a few hours. We would keep the car through Tuesday morning & return it to Harrisburg where we will leave via Amtrak to Philadelphia for the remainder of the week. You say that most of the car rentals are closed...what about Enterprise? Again, I'm still in the early planning stages so any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
275 posts
488 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning day trip in Harrisburg/Hershey

Also, The HersheyHotel sounds really nice too, but a bit more pricey than the B&B. But again worth looking at again. Thanks. Also, would like to know: what is worth going to in Hershey for 2 women (no little kids) and should 3 or 4 hours suffice? And yes, we love chocolate, esp. me, and a tour of the factory would be nice, maybe a museum or so.

PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
3,133 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning day trip in Harrisburg/Hershey

There is no tour of the actual chocolate factory. Chocolate World, at the entrance to Hersheypark, is basically the visitor's center. You can take the "Great American Chocolate Tour," which is free automated ride showing the chocolate making process.

http://www.hersheys.com/chocolateworld/

The Hershey Story is the museum that chronicles the life of Milton S. Hershey & the chocolate company.

http://www.hersheystory.org/

Both are definitely worth a visit. I would also recommend taking the Hershey Trolley Works tour which departs from Chocolate World and visiting the Hershey Gardens.

http://www.hersheytrolleyworks.com/

http://www.hersheygardens.org/

PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
3,133 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning day trip in Harrisburg/Hershey

The only area Enterprise Rent-A-Car location that is open on Sunday is at Harrisburg International Airport. You could contact them to see if they would pick you up at the train station. Their phone is 717-902-1341.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
275 posts
488 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning day trip in Harrisburg/Hershey

Thank you! Will definitely call closer to the date of our departure concerning rent-a-car. Will continue to plan our trip and post more questions at a later date.

8. Re: Planning day trip in Harrisburg/Hershey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 April 2014, 06:17