We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping areas?

Upstate, New York
Level Contributor
267 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping areas?

We would love to take in a few "quaint little shops" (Locally owned/Amish?) but do not have the time to travel South into Lancaster. Might we find any of these somewhere close to I-81 on our trip home (North)? Anything like this along 322 or 422 towards Lebanon? Suppose we could even travel East on 78 before heading North if that would help find us a small town with locally owned shoppes.

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,711 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping areas?

Well, I responded to your other post, but to elaborate: 81 goes through the coal regions of Pa, an area with no Amish and really no farmland. The towns are neither charming nor quaint

78 goes through Pennsylvania Dutch farmland but '"FANCY dutch rather than 'PLAIN' so no Amish- although you will see more hex signs on barns than in Lancaster.

Besides Bethlehem another possibility would be to take 78 east to 476 and then North to 209 and Jim Thorpe an attactive town nestled in the mountains along the Lehigh River. Their are quaint shops and attractive architecture, and if you hit the right time beautiful foliage.

Can't help with Lebanon(have not been there for years). However the most attractive Lancaster County town, with the best selection of quaint(non-Amish)shops would be Lititz, which is not as much of a detour as Lancaster. As always, most shops will be closed Sunday.

Edited: 02 October 2013, 17:10
PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
2,943 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping areas?

The route 422 corridor from Hershey to Lebanon is pretty much chain stores and shopping plazas. Route 322 from Hershey into Lebanon County is much more rural, again nothing "quaint" to be found there.

Mount Gretna is a quaint village but there is only one small shop there and I wouldn't classify it as "quaint." It is more of an area to just stroll around and take in the scenery of the many and different cottages. There are some hiking trails but I don't think this is quite what you are looking for. Not far from Mt. Gretna is the Mount Hope Estate & Winery if you would be interested in wine tasting.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
8 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping areas?

Hate to send you to another website but its too difficult to rephrase what you will find here: www.visitpa.com Go the roadtrip section. Look at the dutch country roads suggestions, there's a lot more out there than what other responses would lead you to believe. Just have to explore. I use that website often and we found some pretty unique PA things to do in places that I never would have thought checking into.

Upstate, New York
Level Contributor
267 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping areas?

Thanks so much! I will check it out

Elizabethtown...
Level Contributor
986 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping areas?

I hope you see my post on your other thread!

Upstate, New York
Level Contributor
267 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping areas?

Had not seen it, but I just looked & found it. Thanks so much!

7. Re: Shopping areas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2014, 05:17