We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Harrisburg to New Holland - getting A-B, where to stay & do

Cirencester, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Harrisburg to New Holland - getting A-B, where to stay & do

I'm considering attending a conference in New Holland in Feb and it looks like the simplest (I'm coming from Canada) would be to fly into Harrisburg. Would I need to rent a car to get to New Holland from there (suggestions on a cheap booking agency appreciated)? And I'll need to overnight in New Holland - any suggestions on budget accommo? And finally - I'll likely take 1 extra day after the conference - does anyone have suggestions on where to spend that (assuming I'm flying back out of Harrisburg the following day), things worth seeing etc.. I'm into farm-y things, if that helps with the last request..! Thanks for any help.

PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
2,863 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Harrisburg to New Holland - getting A-B, where to stay & do

Harrisburg would be the most convenient airport and you will need to rent a car to get to New Holland. I can't tell you which car rental company would be the least expensive. I usually get the best price with Enterprise when I travel. Enterprise, Almo, Avis, Budget, Hertz, and National all have rentals at HIA.

I would recommend spending your extra day in the Lancaster County area if you are into farming. Obviously, at this time of year you won't get to see the farming community, especially the Amish, in full swing but there are still many sites to see. Check the Lancaster County forum for several recommend driving routes to best see the area.

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,645 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Harrisburg to New Holland - getting A-B, where to stay & do

I agree with Fly Eagle that you will need to rent a car. You should check rates of those companys at Harrisburg Airport to see which best meets youyr needs.

You may not be aware that New Holland is located on the edge of a major tourist region- The Lancaster County Pennsylvania Dutch Country. One of the attracions is Lancaster Countys 25,000 to 30,000 Amish who still farm today with horse drawn equipment and travel in horse and Buggys.

Since February is off seaon those motels and Band B's which are not closed will have discounted rates,

If you seach this site under '"New Holland" you will see three motels and three Bed and Breakfasts all of which would be very convenient for your stay. I have not stayed in any of them, so any reccomendations I would make would only be based on the reviews, which you can read yourself. However, they should all have off-season rates considerably lower than their regular rates

There are litreally dozens of other hotels and B and B's within a 15-20 minute drive of New Holland, all of whom(except those closed for the season) will have sharply discounted rates in February' .You can find these by searching this site under"Lancaster County"

As to farm-y attractions, obviusly its winter so no crops in the field, no Amish farming out doors

There is a large Livestock Auction in New Holland, the New Holland Sales Stable at 101 W Fulton St. Every Monday there is a horse Auction, wth many Amish Buyers. Other Animal are auctioned other weekdays.

There are some excellant enclosed Farmers Markets that operate year Rouind. The biggest are Green Dragon north of Ephrata, less than half an hour from New Holland. (Fridays Only,) and Roots, South of Manheim, about a half hour from New Holland, (Tuesdays only). Both have many Amish merchants and many fine bakerys, butchers and food vendors.

Central Market in Downtown Lancaster City, is more upscale with gourmet stands as well as more basic rural stands Open Tuesdays, Fridays and Saturdays. Probably 20 minutes to half an hour from New Holland.

Hope this helps

Edited: 05 January 2014, 19:42
Elizabethtown...
Level Contributor
986 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Harrisburg to New Holland - getting A-B, where to stay & do

In all honesty, Harrisburg International is only 30 minutes closer to New Holland then Philadelphia Int'l. I would urge you to see if the cost difference makes that 30 minutes worth it for you. I would think (though I could be wrong) that Philadelphia has more options in direct flights depending on where you are coming from. Just a thought.

You definitely need to rent a car either way. New Holland is pretty much out in the middle of the country. There are a few independent motels right in town, and I believe a Comfort Inn just outside town. I am not personally familiar with any of them, as far as reviews or quality. There may be reviews for you here at Trip Advisor.

I also agree that touring Amish Country would be a good way to fill one free day even though Feb. is not the typical time for tourism here. Visit http://www.padutchcountry.com/index.asp for ideas and information regarding what is open at this time of year. It may depend on what day of the week you have available.

4. Re: Harrisburg to New Holland - getting A-B, where to stay & do

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2015, 16:15