We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Harrisburg when enroute to Mifflintown

Beaufort, South...
7 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay in Harrisburg when enroute to Mifflintown

I'm traveling to Mifflintown, PA and it appears that Harrisburg is the closest Metro.... any suggestions on places to stay? (Not tooooo far from I-81)

Sellersville, PA
Level Contributor
161 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Harrisburg when enroute to Mifflintown

Be aware that Mifflintown is only about one hour from Harrisburg. Let us know what kind of lodging you are seeking, and I think someone can help you with suggestions!

Elizabethville...
Level Contributor
199 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Harrisburg when enroute to Mifflintown

If you're going to Mifflintown and not planning to do any touring of Harrisburg, you might be better off completing your journey rather than staying over near Harrisburg. Depending on the time of day, it shouldn't take more than hour to get to Mifflintown from Harrisburg.

Also, just a little to the northwest of Mifflintown (straight up Rt. 322)you will find Lewistown. You may want to check out the site: www.juniatarivervalley.org to help with your search for local accomodations.

Northumberland, PA
Level Contributor
206 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Harrisburg when enroute to Mifflintown

I have to agree with the other posters. If you have no NEED to stay in Harrisburg, complete your trip and check out lodging in the Lewistown area. Especially, if you were contemplating commutes from your hotel to Mifflintown. Route 322 is the most direct route between Harrisburg and State College, PA. I know it seems a long way but a LOT of people comute both ways and traffic can get tied up.

Hope this helps,

Dan

Beaufort, South...
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Harrisburg when enroute to Mifflintown

I'm visiting the inlaws in Mifflintown (2 days) and the only lodging appeared to be the EconoLodge. There was another hotel in Burnham but it looked as if it was in the middle of a pasture! If I didn't think that I would be spending a lot of time in the room it wouldn't matter what type of room. BUT...... if I'm going to spend a substantial amount of time in the room, I would appreciate at least a 3 star.

Sellersville, PA
Level Contributor
161 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Harrisburg when enroute to Mifflintown

I agree, you won't find 3 star in Mifflintown or Burnham. Most expensive hotel in Burnham is the Clarion, and it isn't 3 star, by any stretch of the imagination. i would recommend that you consider the Homewood Suites in East Harrisburg--a very good hotel within an hour of Mifflintown. In downtown Harrisburg, you might find the Hilton to your liking. It is just a bit further from Mifflintown. It is within easy walking distance of a thriving restaurant area in the downtown region.

Sellersville, PA
Level Contributor
161 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in Harrisburg when enroute to Mifflintown

I agree, you won't find 3 star in Mifflintown or Burnham. Most expensive hotel in Burnham is the Clarion, and it isn't 3 star, by any stretch of the imagination. i would recommend that you consider the Homewood Suites in East Harrisburg--a very good hotel within an hour of Mifflintown. In downtown Harrisburg, you might find the Hilton to your liking. It is just a bit further from Mifflintown. It is within easy walking distance of a thriving restaurant area in the downtown region.

Beaufort, South...
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in Harrisburg when enroute to Mifflintown

Much thanks to all of you! I've booked a room at the Hilton. What traffic issues should I expect for Friday and Saturday's commute? What is the average temp this time of year? I'm from SC, how should I pack? Thanks again!

Elizabethville...
Level Contributor
199 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in Harrisburg when enroute to Mifflintown

If PennState is having a home game on the weekend of your travel, you should anticipate 1 1/2 - 2 hours for your trip up 322 to Mifflintown from Harrisburg on Friday's evening rush hour. Other than that, normal traffic flow should be anticipated (approx. 1 hour journey), unless there's an accident on the highway.

Sellersville, PA
Level Contributor
161 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay in Harrisburg when enroute to Mifflintown

I think you'll enjoy the Hilton. Ask the front desk for walking directions to The Firehouse! It is a pubsy eatery on North Second Street. See www.thefirehouserestaurant.com for complete menus and more details. Their food is great!! You're also within walking distance of the river, where one can enjoy some nice walking trails. The State Capital building is also close by, and is work your time to simply view the architecture. I believe you made a great choice. Let us know how the experience goes!

Beaufort, South...
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay in Harrisburg when enroute to Mifflintown

I certainly will but what about the weather? Our temps are in the 90s. I'm sure that the temps are lower there, what should I pack?