We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Time From Hawley To Shawnee-On-Delaware

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,096 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Travel Time From Hawley To Shawnee-On-Delaware

Although everything on this Forum appears to be "closed" I am hopeful that somebody will be monitoring activity and give me some advice as to the best way to get from Hawley down (and back) to Shawnee-On-Delaware. We hope to go to the Playhouse and mabe have dinner and then drive back to Hawley. This would be on a Saturday night in May. Probably can expect little tourist traffic this time of year but on the map the most direct road looks to be a country lane and it will be dark.

Thanks!

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,866 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel Time From Hawley To Shawnee-On-Delaware

Much of the most direct route between Hawley and Shawnee on Delaware passes through State or National Parks, Forests or Recreation Areas, where highway development is purposely curtailed as part of the preservation effort.

If the most direct route looks too rural, there is an alternative that will add twenty-to-thirty minutes driving time and may or may not make you feel less like you're "out in the boonies"..... use US Rt 6 from Hawley to US 209 at Milford and take US 209 south from there.... But, be aware that Rt 6 is mostly rural too, so don't expect regularly spaced street lights or wide roadway shoulders. And US 209 passes through the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area....one-lane in each direction with narrow to very narrow gravel roadside shoulders for about half the distance.....and here too street lights, businesses, etc. will be few and far between because the area is designed to preserve the "natural, outdoor" experience.

From our admittedly limited travel in this part of Pennsylvania, your chances of finding a multi-lane, continuously-lighted, divided, expressway-like highway are going to be somewhere between slim and none....sorry.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,096 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel Time From Hawley To Shawnee-On-Delaware

Thank you, Mariner!

Your response is very much appreciated.

We took your advice and did the US Rt 6 route down and then coming back, after the Play at the Shawnee Playhouse, we did the country roads back north through the Delaware Forest Land and drove slowly and carefully, very carefully, to avoid any deer confrontation. Took us about 1 hour down and back.

This was our very first "get-away" in the Poconos Area and we loved it!. I am concerned and confused that there is so little "chatter" about this

beautiful area here on Trip Advisor. Maybe it is because most want it kept secret! LOL!

Again, many thanks for your advise. Please let me know if I can ever return the favor. The Finger Lakes Region of Upstate New York is also a vast and

beautiful area to enjoy, very similar to the Poconos, and it is where we live so give me a shout if you plan to visit.

Regards,

mm

New England
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel Time From Hawley To Shawnee-On-Delaware

HI both of you. We are just starting to research this area for a visit in Aug 2010. Can you tell me the name of the theater to get info? What else is there to do in the area.? I think we will visit Bushkill falls. staying at a timeshare in Shawaneed on Delaware with friends.

Another Mainer. :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,096 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel Time From Hawley To Shawnee-On-Delaware

Hi back, NewEnglander!

The name is The Shawnee Playhouse. If you have booked a stay in the Shawnee-on-Delaware Area of the Poconos, then be certain to ask for discount tickets when you book your seats at the Playhouse. Book soon, however, as it is an intimate theater experience (maybe 200 seats) and a popular destination during prime summer season.

The Playhouse has a web site at: theshawneeplayhouse.com

Enjoy and try to fit that road trip on River Road that I posted about into your plans. It was a beautiful drive and there are stops at several waterfalls along the way. Dingman's Falls is prettier than most and it is free.

New England
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel Time From Hawley To Shawnee-On-Delaware

Not sure what you mean by the road trip on RIver Road. Is that route 6? I think we will poke around on some scenic roads.

Greentown...
Level Contributor
244 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel Time From Hawley To Shawnee-On-Delaware

Depending on the traffic in the Shawnee area on their 2 land roads...you are looking at 45 min to an hour for a trip from Hawley to Shawnee. You would take Rt. 402 to Rt. 209 to get from Hawley to Shawnee.

7. Re: Travel Time From Hawley To Shawnee-On-Delaware

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 February 2011, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Hawley