We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are the July/August crowds in Hershey really horrendous?

Saint John, Indiana
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Topic
Are the July/August crowds in Hershey really horrendous?

Help! Wanted to plan a mid-week trip in first half of August for my parents' 50th, but have recently started re-thinking the plan. Perhaps we'd be significantly better off waiting until early September? Prices drop, I know, but that's not a big factor in the decision. Am more concerned heat/humidity, lines/traffic and overall town/hotel congestion will be a mini-nightmare in Aug. We'll have our 10-mo.-old and 3-yr. old along, too, FYI. I'll be treating the parents to Hotel Hershey, and we'll be at The Suites at Hershey. Mainly curious just how crazy it is in Aug. vs. September; worth delaying the 50th celebration?

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
2,955 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are the July/August crowds in Hershey really horrendous?

YES! I personally would wait.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Are the July/August crowds in Hershey really horrendous?

I would also wait. With young kids and older adults the combination of heat and crowds in Aug could make for a very unpleasent vacation, especially if you're planning on visiting the park. I've always felt that Sep is a much better time to go to the park. I can't comment about the hotel/town situation though.

PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
3,048 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are the July/August crowds in Hershey really horrendous?

The weather will be less humid in September; however, the crowds on weekends in September pretty much rival those in August. The park is only open weekends after Labor Day. The week prior to Labor Day might be less crowded as a lot of the schools in the Hershey area go back that week.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
2 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are the July/August crowds in Hershey really horrendous?

We try to get to Hershey Park every summer; the week before Labor Day. By then many kids are back in school so we don't find the crowds too bad. We meet my 70 year old father and his wife there. They love to watch the kids and "grandpa" rides the old roller coaster with them several times. We think he has ridden it over 1000 times since he was a kid. Based on the ages fo your kids, lines at the newer, fast roller coasters are probably not an issue.

I think if you wait until September you may have problems...the summer help goes back to college or the country they are imported from so everything may not be open. We eperience that to some extent this last week in August.

Since we have never been disappointed during this week we visit we haven't tried earlier in August or on a weekend when it may be more crowded. We sort of like some crowds, it adds some "life" to the day and experience.

We usually stay just a few miles away in Harrisburg, we can typically find "suite" type hotel accomodations that are a little better priced.

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
3,317 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are the July/August crowds in Hershey really horrendous?

Although there are no guarantees, often by the middle of August the evenings have started cooling down. As a season pass holder, I have found that Tuesday & Wednesday evenings are usually less crowded. We often go around 6 or 7 PM and ride about 15 or 20 rides before the park closes. Since you're parents are staying at Hotel Hershey, they are allowed to go in the park an hour early in the morning. Maybe you can work something out with the hotel so you can ride along on the shuttle and accompany them. By 1:30 or 2 PM the temperature is usually rising but that makes it a good time to go back to the hotel to swim & nap, then go back in after dinner. Also, you're allowed to "preview" the park the evening before (check with them to see what time-usually 7 or 8PM) with your ticket for the next day. The park has plenty of bench seating throughout, and is pretty good with alot of the ride waiting lines under awnings with fans blowing.

6. Re: Are the July/August crowds in Hershey really horrendous?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 15:17
Get answers to your questions about Hershey