We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fate of skyride?

Plattsburg NY
Level Contributor
35 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Fate of skyride?

I was wondering if anyone knows or remembers why the larger sky-ride at Hershey park closed in the mid -eightys? The large box shaped sky ride that ferried people from one end of the park to the other. I have a fellow Hershey park fan who claims it was due to a tragic accident were a tram fell and someone was killed. I never heard about this. I just heard it was discontinued to make room for another ride. Anyone remember or have any info? Thanks!

Elizabethville...
Level Contributor
199 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fate of skyride?

Memory has it that the sky ride was removed to make way for the Great Bear Roller Coaster, which utilizes the old sky ride building in minetown. I believe the other sky ride building (the one closer to the park's entrance) is now a food venue.

I've never heard anything about any getting injured, let alone killed, on the sky ride. I know many people, however, who dropped various items from the sky ride (such as water balloons). :)

PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fate of skyride?

I have to agree with InsanePA - I think it was removed to make room for the Great Bear. I am not aware of any tragic accident.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fate of skyride?

I think somebody did get killed on one of those but at another park-maybe King's Island in Ohio?

hershey
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Fate of skyride?

I worked at hersheypark for 8 years..... this is the story. The skyride was bought from a company in eruope(germany I think). Whenever parts were needed it took to much time and money to get them. Also, if and when the ride broke down there was not a firetruck latter tall enough in the local area to get the people out. So, it would be hours for the people to wait. That was the reason they stopped using it. The two loading stations were used as food stands. The one at the front of the park was and still is the kosher mart(jewish food) and the one in minetown was turned into a catering area(I worked at this area for 3 years) when the park decided to put in the great bear they got ride of the whole building and put up the great bear.

5. Re: Fate of skyride?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 20:18