We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

one day in Hershey

Clarktson, MI
Level Contributor
12 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
one day in Hershey

Planning to spend one day in Hershey in mid-late August with 4 kids ages 3-18. It will be a "pit stop" after we're returning from NC back home to Michigan.

I'm trying to figure out how to make the best use of our time for one day. Can I keep my kids "entertained" doing everything in Hershey (except for Hershey Park)?

Or should we plan to do Hershey Park in a day??

Please help me out thanks

Hummelstown
Destination Expert
for Hershey
Level Contributor
434 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: one day in Hershey

Hersheypark is alot of fun, but if your idea of a "pit stop" on a long trip is the same as mine (a day to get out of the car and let off some steam while resting up for the next leg of the trip) I don't think Hersheypark is the best bet.

Instead, I would opt for one or more of the following :Chocolate World, Hershey Gardens, Indian Echo Caverns, and Challenge Family Fun Center that has a miniature golf course.

You can spend about two hours at Chocolate World -maybe even more on a crowded day - just by doing the ride (free) and the Really Big 3D Show (you must buy tickets). There is also the FactoryWorks assembly line and Trolley tour.

Alot of people discount the Hershey Gardens assuming it is for old folk or horticulturalists, but I think it is one of the towns best kept secrets! Of course, you'd want to go on a good weather day, but in addition to being just a beautiful place to walk around, there is a great Children's Garden and a Butterfly House. My children can spend hours at the Gardens! The Children's Gardens have all sorts of fun, hands on activities, plus it is just set up for imagination. The Butterfly House is a unique place...especially fun for the younger crowd when a butterfly lands on them!

Indian Echo Caverns is not far at all and a very fun diversion. They are walk through caverns and the steps to get down are long, so everyone in your party needs to be mobile. At the entrance to the facility is Challenge Family Fun Center which has a minature golf course in addition to some indoor batting cages and arcade games. They also have a little food shop...but I wouldn't plan on eating a meal there.

There are other things to do in the area - the Hershey Story(musuem), Railroad ride, etc - but these are the things I think I would do with my family on a pit stop.

I hope this helps, but if you need any more information, please let me know.

One other suggestion - be sure you have a hotel reservation. There is no such thing as just stopping in Hershey and finding a room during the tourist season.

2. Re: one day in Hershey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 08:19
Get answers to your questions about Hershey