We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hershey or Sesame Place? Which is better for young children?

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Hershey or Sesame Place? Which is better for young children?

We're thinking of taking our kids to an amusement park for the first time this summer. We have 3 boys, ages 6, 3, and 3 (the twins will be 4 by summer). Which park would have more rides and other attractions of interest to kids their age -- Hershey Park or Sesame Place?

None of the boys are huge Sesame fans, although they watch the show from time to time and recognize the main characters. We're traveling from MD, so both are about the same distance from our home.

Happy for any advice and ideas. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Hershey
Hershey
Pennsylvania
PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
3,219 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hershey or Sesame Place? Which is better for young children?

I have never been to Sesame Place. HersheyPark will have tons to occupy your boys. My kids have been going to HP since birth and really enjoyed the park when they were younger. There are a lot of "kiddie" rides at HP as well as some shows for kids. The existing water park has an area for younger children and they are opening a new addition to the water park this year so I think you will find plenty to do at HP.

Mentioned in this post
Hersheypark
Hersheypark
6,218 Reviews
Hershey, PA
long island, ny
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hershey or Sesame Place? Which is better for young children?

Sesame is much smaller and has a lot of water rides and splash pools. The little 1 to 2 foot pools might be too boring for a 6 year old. My kids loved sesame as lil' ones and we went just about every year, starting at 2 and a newborn. If your kids aren't Elmo fans, I would go to Hershey. It is bigger and has more to offer.

Mentioned in this post
Hershey
Hershey
Pennsylvania
scw
Bear, Delaware
Level Contributor
479 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hershey or Sesame Place? Which is better for young children?

How's about Dutch Wonderland or Knoebels Grove? Both have lots of rides for the youngsters. They're both cheaper (especially Knoebels) and much less crowded.

Steve

Mentioned in this post
Dutch Wonderland
Dutch Wonderland
2,051 Reviews
Lancaster, PA
York, PA
Level Contributor
2,545 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hershey or Sesame Place? Which is better for young children?

I know you are trying to decide between Hershey Park and Sesame Place, but I think that your boys would really like Dutch Wonderland. It is an amusement park geared towards young children and located in Lancaster, PA. Hershey Park is quite expensive and doesn't have a whole lot of rides for children. I am not familiar with Sesame Place, so I can not comment on that.

Mentioned in this post
Hershey
Hershey
Pennsylvania
Lancaster
Lancaster
Lancaster County, PA
King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
9,111 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hershey or Sesame Place? Which is better for young children?

I've never been to Sesame Place but I took my friend's 3-year old daughter from out of town to the Hershey Park for the Christmas theme and she loved it. She jumped from one ride to another -loved the fact that she was allowed to drive us around in an vintage car-, got pictures taken with the characters, visited the mock factory, and when she was done, she wanted to start all over again. She absolutely loves this place. She's 6 now and she still remembers it. It's a very nice, memorable and fun place for both children and adults.

I hear that they have even better rides during the summer.

Mentioned in this post
Hershey
Hershey
Pennsylvania
6. Re: Hershey or Sesame Place? Which is better for young children?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 22:17