We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking for Dave Matthews concert?

Valencia, CA
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Topic
Parking for Dave Matthews concert?

Where can I park in town to avoid the notorious parking lot traffic jam I've read on TA? I'll be staying at HoJos in Harrisburg.

Hummelstown
Destination Expert
for Hershey
Level Contributor
432 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking for Dave Matthews concert?

Park at the garage on Chocolate Ave behind The Hershey Story (the museum) and walk in. Parking there is freee. It will take about 10 minutes of easy paced walking following these directions:

1/Go out the back of the garage to the bus loading area.

2/Cross the street and go on the other side of the guard rail to the pathway.

3/Walk to your left - down the hill and away from the factory.

4/There will be a break in the fence on your right as you approach the entrance to Hersheypark but before you reach Chocolate World. Go in there.

5/Continue across the Hersheypark entrance toward the stadium and you are there!

Another hint is to go the the security gate at the right of the stadium. For some reason people never cross the lot...they just get in the first line they see. The line on the right is almost always so much shorter!

Hummelstown
Destination Expert
for Hershey
Level Contributor
432 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking for Dave Matthews concert?

Just another thought...are you staying at the Howard Johnson's on Eisenhower or Linglestown Rd? If you want some information on a way into Hershey other than Rt 322, let me know.

You want to avoid 322 into Hershey at all costs when there is a concert like Dave Matthews going on. (We've been to concerts where people have missed the opening acts because they were stuck on 322)

Let me know.

Valencia, CA
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking for Dave Matthews concert?

WOW! Thanks for the info you shared!

Yes, by all means, get me out of the traffic jams! Staying at HoJos on Eisenhower Blvd. Driving in from Newark, Delaware and planned on leaving around 1:00 pm, check in at HoJos then go to Hershey. If I go early to Hershey and park, are there places I can walk around and check out before the concert?

Hummelstown
Destination Expert
for Hershey
Level Contributor
432 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking for Dave Matthews concert?

Ok, first you need to know is that this is not the most direct route...322 which is right at your hotel is very simple and very quick. If 322 is not busy going into Hershey, that is the way to go. At 1pm, it is probably going to be fine. However, I would recommend following these directions in reverse when you leave the concert if you park at the garage.

From Howard Johnson's on Eisenhower Blvd:

1/ Rt onto Eishenhower Blvd

2/ Get onto I-283/PA-283 East

3/ Follow PA-283 East toward Lancaster/Airport

4/ Take the Middletown/Hummelstown Exit

5/ Left at light at top of ramp onto Vine Street

6/ Vine Street becomes Middletown Rd

7/ Right onto Wood Road (at one room schoolhouse and little white church)

8/ Cross over Waltonville Rd

9/ Left onto Bullfrog Valley Rd (this will take you past the side of the Medical Center)

10/ Right onto Governor Road

11/ Left onto Hockersville Rd (there is a gas station and Masonic Lodge)

12/ Right onto Chocolate Ave

13/ Left onto Linden Ave to park at the garage behind The Hershey Story (you'll pass the Grill on Chocolate and Fenicci's) If you actually pass the Hershey Story on your left, turn around.

This sounds alot more complicated than it really is. The entire trip will take about 15 minutes. My biggest piece of advice is to watch your speeds...the police monitor them very closely.

As far as what to do, if you park at the garage you can grab a bite to eat downtown. There are several restaurants right there...Houlihan's, Devon, Fenicci's, Grill on Chocolate. They are all good.

At this hour, you should be able to grab the Chocolate Ave Shuttle over to Chocolate World. If not, you can walk following my other directions. Anyway, you can go to Chocolate World. At Chocolate World you can ride the free chocolate naking ride, go on the trolley tour, see the 3D movie if you want. All just ideas. I'm not sure what time the concert starts, so you might just have time to grab something to eat and get situated. They usually let you into the stadium an hour or so before the concert.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
579 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking for Dave Matthews concert?

I'm also going to the Dave Matthews concert on Friday and am very happy this was asked. We may also park at the Hershey Museum. We are staying at the Towneplace Suites in Harrisburg.

Just a quick question... if we park at the Hershey Museum can we also walk to the Chocolate World too?

PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
2,919 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Parking for Dave Matthews concert?

Yes, you will walk past Chocolate World to get to the stadium.

8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Parking for Dave Matthews concert?

We are also going to the concert, but going to the Park in the morning first. Would you still park at the Hershey Museum lot in the morning and walk to the Park in the morning?

Hummelstown
Destination Expert
for Hershey
Level Contributor
432 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Parking for Dave Matthews concert?

That depends on how much it matters to you to get out of the parking lot quickly. It will take about an hour to get out of the lot once the concert is over...unless you park very strategically within the parking lot.

If you choose to park at Hersheypark, try to park far away from the stadium...it the area between Chocolate World and the Giant Center. They may or may not let you do this early in the morning but you might have better luck if you tell them that you will be tailgating later.

If you park in that area you'll see that there are several lift gates on the side opposite that which you drove in. They are automatic lift gates. If you back into a spot near one of those gates and avoid going out onto Hersheypark Drive (in other words, turn left out of lift gate and then follow road until you turn right on Chocolate Ave)when you leave, you'll probably be ok.

If the possiblity of being stuck in a parking lot for an hour before fighting the actual road traffic bothers you, you might want to park at the garage.

Good luck and have a great time!

State College, PA
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Parking for Dave Matthews concert?

Could you (or someone) please clarify where those lift gates are?

Here's an image of the lot your described:

…imageshack.us/img511/4677/hersheyparking.jpg

We are staying at the Days Inn but want to park near the concert to tailgate.

Thanks.

Elizabethtown...
Level Contributor
986 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Parking for Dave Matthews concert?

The stadium (where the concert will be) is in the upper right hand corner of the pic you posted. The lift gates are at the very bottom, along the road labeled Rt. 39/Park Dr. This is also the road you would walk along to get to the parking garage mentioned in previous posts. (the small path should be right near the far right "Rt. 39" label) One of the quickest ways to get out after an event is to go through the lift gates, and turn left onto Park Dr. This will wind back into Hershey (near the mentioned parking garage) and take you out onto Rt. 422/Chocolate Ave. You can see the 3 little driveways connecting Park Dr. and the parking lot. They tend to fill the north portion of the lot prior to motioning people into the southern lot (closer to Chocolate World and Park Dr.). Unless they have cones up, I have never had trouble just parking down by Choc. World - I just choose to ignore the hot and cranky teens that are giving me dirty looks as I ignore their waving arms. :)

Get answers to your questions about Hershey