We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for Memorial Day 2010

Southern US
Level Contributor
61 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Advice for Memorial Day 2010

We'll be in Hershey for a family gathering and want to take our 6 y/o to Hershey Park on Memorial Day. Somebody told us that it would be too crowded and to skip the whole thing.

I did see some posts from 2 years ago about going to the park over Memorial Day and it didn't sound bad at all. Does anyone have any current advice about going on Memorial Day? Will going as soon as the park opens help avoid long lines or will it still be crowded?

Thanks.

Elizabethtown...
Level Contributor
986 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for Memorial Day 2010

Honestly, with a 6 y.o. I wouldn't worry too much about it since they likely won't be tall enough to go on the rides that tend to have the longest lines. That being said, my daughter was 6 last summer, and by the end of the season was enjoying coasters such as Lightning Racer, Wildcat, and Wild Mouse as well as the ones that allow smaller riders. You can still have a really good day even if it is crowded. I personally haven't gone on days like Memorial Day or Fourth of July so I can't personally comment. My brother went on July 4 one year and said he thought it felt empty and we should all do it every year. Also, consider doing the free preview plan the night before. You can take your tickets at 7:30 p.m. enjoy the park until it closes and then use your same ticket again for a full day (it doesn't even have to be the very next day, from what I understand, they just mark your ticket that it can no longer be used for a preview plan). Anyway, the rides geared toward kids are particularly empty in the evenings, often having no line at all. Also, in my experience, weekends in May and June are less crowded than weekdays the last 2 weeks of July thru the first 2 weeks of August.

Southern US
Level Contributor
61 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for Memorial Day 2010

Thank you so much for the suggestions. I didn't know about the preview night. That would be perfect for us.

PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
2,989 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for Memorial Day 2010

My personal experience has been that the park is not as crowded on Monday, Memorial Day as it will be on the Saturday and Sunday prior. A lot of people that have come for the weekend will travel home on Monday. If you are able to stay later on Memorial Day, after 5:00 pm, the park is usually very enjoyable and really starts to empty out.

Hummelstown
Destination Expert
for Hershey
Level Contributor
434 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice for Memorial Day 2010

I agree with the answers already given...the actual day of the holiday rarely seems as busy as the weekend preceeding.

I wouldn't necessarily rush to be at the front of the line on Memorial Day either since some people will try to get a couple of hours in before heading home. If you get up early I would go, but I wouldn't wake up the whole family just to be there early...

The preview plan is great and should absolutely be taken advantage of. You should also check at the parking kiosk when you come in on the preview night about the parking fee because I think there is something you can do to avoid paying parking the next day but I don't know what that is.

I would also recommend getting a souvenir cup if you plan on drinking anything but water from fountains all day. I think the cup costs $8 but then refills only cost $1 and it's good for the whole season if you or someone you know comes back. Frankly, it can easily pay for itself in just a single day visit. They also have meal tickets that can be purchased at the guest services desk that include a cup and really do work out to be a savings. The Hersheypark website has all the information on the meal ticket and what restaurants participate and what food you can get.

Be sure to check out the shows and entertainment at the park, too! They are usually good and will get you out of the sun with a place to sit and relax for awhile!

Don't forget to bring your bathing suit since the Boardwalk opens this weekend!

Have fun!

usa
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice for Memorial Day 2010

I want to thank you all so much for the great suggestions. Your advice was spot on. We went the night before using the preview plan and everything worked out better than we expected. The attendant at the parking booth gave us a ticket (after we paid $10) and told us to keep it for free parking when we returned. All we had to do is show it to the attendant the next morning and he waived us right in. The night of the preview plan worked out well- no crowds and no blistering heat.

It wasn't crowded on Memorial Day. We waited maybe 5-10 minutes in line for most rides. In fact, most rides were not filled and ran with empty seats. The boardwalk area was packed though and chairs in the shade were not available, but that's the only problem we ran into.

We would have skipped Hershey Park altogether based on what a friend told us and missed out on a great time. Thanks again!

PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
2,989 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice for Memorial Day 2010

I'm glad to hear you had a great time. We were at the park on Memorial Day and were thrilled with the very short/almost no lines. We didn't venture out to the Boardwalk area (not my favorite part of the park) as we thought it would be pretty crowded given the heat.

7. Re: Advice for Memorial Day 2010

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 November 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Hershey