We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please suggest a good restaurant for dinner in the area

Which Hershey hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ashburn, Virginia
Level Contributor
374 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Please suggest a good restaurant for dinner in the area

We are fully prepared that the day we are at Hershey Park will mean crummy, over-priced park food. The night before, I'd like to have a "good" dinner, and here's what that means to us:

2 adults, 2 boys ages 7 and 8. Red Robin is acceptable, because the food is decent and we know it's kid friendly. However, I'd like to find something unique that we can't get at home, has food options other than burgers/fries/pizza, etc. Great beer would be a plus! Obviously we are not looking at fine-dining since we have the kids with us, but would love something local, rather than a chain restaurant, or average pizza joint.

We are staying at the Country Inn & Suites on Jonestown Road, so somewhere within a few miles of that, or between that and Hershey Park, or vicinity, would be perfect!

Our plan is to drive up, check into the hotel, have a good dinner at the place you suggest, then hit Hershey Park for the preview at 7:30pm, then head back to the hotel to sleep, and the hit the park all day the next day.

Thank you!!!

Ashburn, Virginia
Level Contributor
374 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please suggest a good restaurant for dinner in the area

The Chocolate Avenue Grill looks interesting. Is the food good and is it truly kid-friendly?

Ashburn, Virginia
Level Contributor
374 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please suggest a good restaurant for dinner in the area

What If of Hershey also looks very interesting!!

Elizabethtown...
Level Contributor
986 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please suggest a good restaurant for dinner in the area

The thing is, that everything in Hershey is kid friendly, even the finer dining establishments. They just have to be, considering the family destination it is.

My kids' favorite restaurant is Devon Seafood Grill, without a doubt, and is where they ask to go for birthdays and such. They have eaten at, and enjoyed, Chocolate Ave. Grill and I recommend it often. The Houlihan's here in Hershey does a really nice job. I can't speak for others in this chain, but we have always been very pleased with both food and service. For some reason I've never been as much a fan of What If, but I don't have a good reason, I'm just not as comfortable there. For Mexican, we enjoyed our one visit (so far) to Luna Mexican Grill. Away from the tourism, we have had great hits and a few misses at Fire Alley. And in Hummelstown, The Gas Station is a particular favorite of the entire family, and possibly your best bet for great beer/cocktails for mom and dad.

I should mention that my kids are 9 and 11 and have been eating at most of these places for several years.

Hummelstown
Destination Expert
for Hershey
Level Contributor
430 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please suggest a good restaurant for dinner in the area

There are several nice restaurants in the area and several have been mentioned.

The Chocolate Avenue Grill is nice but I would check the menu to make sure that everyone in your family can find something they like. The food is a little ecclectic. If everyone is happy with the menu options, it's worth considering. Keep in mind they don't accept reservations after (maybe?) 5pm.

I like the food at What If, but it is a strange set up. It's in the basement, kind of out of date. I completely understand the "weird feeling". Probably not your best bet.

Unless you only want wings and beer, I'd stay away from Fire Alley. It's a shame...it used to be pretty good. The food and service are quite awful.

I have to disagree about The Gas Station. The service has always been slow and the menu is really just bar food but the place is filthy. I only went once since it changed hands but my husband goes fairly frequently because of work and he has yet to feel the place is clean.

Totally agree with Devon's and Houlihan's. Devon's does accept reservations and I would recommend making them as soon as you can if you know when you want to eat. Both are very busy places.

If you like Italian food, I would throw in Dafno's and Piazza Sorrento. Both are locally owned. Dafno's is better priced and has the feel of a "family" restaurant. Piazza Sorrento's food is a little upscale, pricier menu...but keep in mind they have their pizza restaurant on the other side of the restaurant, so it's not fancy by any means. Both will take reservations.

A word about eating at Hersheypark...the food is expensive, but it's really not that bad. They actually offer a fairly wide variety. There is a sit down restaurant just outside the ticket gates which is good. You can get your hand stamped to re-enter the park after you eat. On a very hot or rainy day, it's an especially nice respite.

Have fun!

Ashburn, Virginia
Level Contributor
374 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please suggest a good restaurant for dinner in the area

Thank you!!

Ashburn, Virginia
Level Contributor
374 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please suggest a good restaurant for dinner in the area

I just made reservation at Devon's. Looks pricy, but worth it. Thanks!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
5,647 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please suggest a good restaurant for dinner in the area

I've been to the Chocolate Ave. Grille and while creative, the menu was simple enough that it shouldn't be hard to find something you'll enjoy. Luna Grill has some decent Mexican offerings. I was there two years ago and it seemed like they had to mature a bit, but it wasn't bad.

Reading, PA
Level Contributor
188 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please suggest a good restaurant for dinner in the area

I was going to agree that Devon Grill is the place to go - but I see you already made reservations. It is pricey but we felt it was worth it.

Elizabethtown...
Level Contributor
986 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please suggest a good restaurant for dinner in the area

"I have to disagree about The Gas Station. The service has always been slow and the menu is really just bar food but the place is filthy. I only went once since it changed hands but my husband goes fairly frequently because of work and he has yet to feel the place is clean."

I just feel like I need to say that we have been there many times, with kids and with friends and have never felt this way. And the food is actually a very creative spin on your standard bar food. Regardless, you've made an excellent choice, I hope you enjoy your meal!

And, I agree about Hersheypark. Like any park, overpriced for what it is, but lots of options. I recommend the Gourmet Grill near the Great Bear entrance if you are looking for something different from the typical burgers and chicken fingers. You can check menus of different places at the park's website.

Have a great trip!

Edited: 26 June 2012, 01:28
Erie, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
15 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please suggest a good restaurant for dinner in the area

There is a Microbrewey called Tröegs on Hershey Park drive, just beyond Red Robin.