We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stopover and route suggestions Boston to Hershey

Which Hershey hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
451 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Stopover and route suggestions Boston to Hershey

I'm looking for advice on a place to stopover about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way between Boston and Hershey. We'll be leaving Boston area on a Sunday mid morning and are not booked to arrive in Hershey until Monday. The midway point seems to be NYC which we want to avoid. We are thinking of taking 84 to 81 and stopping for the night along that route. Also open to other suggestions.

Looking for somewhere with some interesting sights and a not too expensive hotel/motel w/ an indoor pool if possible. We'd be heading out early Monday am for Hershey.

Our goal is to get to Hershey without being exhausted and cranky from driving 8 hours through traffic and construction. Appreciate any tips or suggestions from those who travel this route.

Columbia, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,722 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stopover and route suggestions Boston to Hershey

GOing that route the Scranton Wilkes Barre area would seem to fit the bill. It's about 5 hours to Scranton and about 5.5 hours to Wilkes-Barre. It's about 2 hours from Wilkes-Barre to Hershey and 2.5 hours from Scranton to Hershey.

Things to do in the area - these are near Scranton:

Steamtown Train Museum and Ride

http://www.nps.gov/stea/index.htm

Coal Mine Tour

www.lackawannacounty.org/attractions_coal.asp

Coal country history

http://www.anthracitemuseum.org/

Boston...
Level Contributor
25 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stopover and route suggestions Boston to Hershey

I am also taking this trip . Also leaving on a Sunday and heading to Philie for a night(2 days) and then 2 nighs in Amish. I can't do the drive all the way in one shot so am planning a night in Easton or Stroudsburg area. Not too bothered about something to do as it is only a stopover for me and my son.

Is this a good plan and any thought on a hotel will be welcomed!!

Thanks

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
451 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stopover and route suggestions Boston to Hershey

Hi. Philly sounds great. I have no personal experience there but a friend recently stayed at the Sofitel and enjoyed it.

To follow up on our plans, we are going to head to Scranton on Sunday (staying at the Hampton Inn at Montage Mtn.) and then to Hershey on Monday. We'll be driving home closer to the coast on Friday - I know, I know summer Friday traffic!!! - but we plan to stop and meet up with some friends in Point Pleasant Beach, NJ.

Any tips on the PA to Boston via PPB, NJ?

4. Re: Stopover and route suggestions Boston to Hershey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2013, 10:15