We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hershey Park in August--mobs of people?

Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
Hershey Park in August--mobs of people?

I am thinking of taking 4 little girls ags 7-13 to Hershey Park next week. It would be just for a day trip from Baltimore. I have never been to Hershey Park, and I am a bit worried that it will be very crowded, long lines, etc. (and hot weather?) It's not going to be inexpensive, so I am wondering if I should do this or plan something else to do with them.

Any thoughts you can share? Is this going to be a mob scene, standing in line much of the time??

Harrisburg, PA
Level Contributor
509 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hershey Park in August--mobs of people?

It's busy season at Hershey right now, but regardless of the lines/crowds, the girls will have a great time. Crowds are hit or miss -- earlier this week when we were there a few of the lines were overflowing, but others were a short wait to get on some of the more popular rides. Today, my son who works there says they were packed with lines out the maze for many of the rides.

The key really is to find the rides that presently don't have an unbearable line at that moment. Some rides like Skyrush, which is new, pretty mcuh will always have a long line -- but if you do it first thing in the morning, you can get thru in reasonable time. The water park is less crowded in the morning before all the crowds arrive to cool off around noon.

The park itself has lots of shaded areas and combined with the shows (not all of which are likely to be of interest to the girls), you shouldn't have a problem finding some cooler spots.

Be sure to check for events in the stadium or a recognizable talent in the park's ampitheater -- these will tend to drive up attendance.

Discount tickets can be purchased at Giant grocery stores in PA (not the same as the Giant in Maryland) and there are two very near Hershey. One on Route 39 and the other on Cocoa Avenue. These will save substantially off admission at the gate. Some local government and AAA (if your are a member) also sometimes have discount tickets available.

If you're looking to save money -- consider packing a lunch and eating it in one of the gazebos near the tram in the parking lot (no food is permitted to be brought into the park).

Be sure to take in Chocolate World -- which is free (the younger girls will like it) and don't forget that ZooAmerica is included in the price of admission (accessible via the bridge next to the Falcon ride in the Minetown area). Both can be good breaks if you find yourself at a point where the crowds are ust overwhelming.

Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
3,084 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hershey Park in August--mobs of people?

I hate to discourage you from visiting Hersheypark; however, I don't go near the place in August. I think the key to survival in August is just knowing and accepting that most likely, you will encounter large crowds and lines could be long. As previously stated, sometimes the trick is coming upon a ride at just the right time when the line isn't long.

Definitely try to have a plan of attack in advance. If you know you want to ride some of the more popular rides, try to do those first thing or if the Boardwalk and water rides are more important, head there first.

Food & drink are expensive; however, you can get ice water at the concessions stands. There is also a one price meal plan for $13.50. It does include a souvenir cup which can be refilled for .99. This can be a savings on drinks.

As for weather, your best bet is to just check a few days prior to your trip and plan accordingly. Unfortunately, the humidity in this area can be brutal in August.

If there is any way you can visit the last week of August (not sure when your kids return to school) you might fare better as a lot of the local schools return to school that week and crowds sometimes aren't so bad.

Plan for the worst, expect the best. It will work out if you are aware of the possibilities and just go with the flow.

Dover, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,785 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hershey Park in August--mobs of people?

Are many of the shows put on during "week days - e.g. Mon, Tue, Wed)?

Lasagna329 - Are Lines more reasonable on a Monday or Tuesday ? Or, it does not make a difference.

Edited: 29 July 2012, 19:17
4. Re: Hershey Park in August--mobs of people?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2013, 10:16