We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend before Thanksgiving??

berkley, ma
Level Contributor
188 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Weekend before Thanksgiving??

We were looking to go for Christmas Candyland Nov 18. to meet our grandaughters coming from Ohio (about 8 hrs). We will be driving from SE MA (about 6.5 hrs.) Worth the ride? Are the lines long for this event? Light show worth seeing? Kids are 4 and 10 months. 4 yr olds just want to go-and go.

Harrisburg, PA
Level Contributor
509 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend before Thanksgiving??

Candylane is fun for the kids and the lines aren't bad ... particularly for rides the 4 yr old would love to ride. I suspect crowds may even be lighter since it would still be early in the season before people are really thinking Christmas. Be sure to take the free ride at Chocolate World and checkout the things you can do there ... kids like the "make your own" chocolate bar.

As for Sweet Lights .. meh. It's a neat display of lots and lots of Christmas lights that you can drive thru, but frankly, I get more enjoyment driving around some of the neighborhoods closer to Christmas and that's free. It always seems like it draws a lot of visitors however, so I guess there are some who like it. Seems overpriced to me for essentially driving thru a big field setup with a bunch of Christmas lights.

Hummelstown
Destination Expert
for Hershey
Level Contributor
432 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekend before Thanksgiving??

I agree that the lines for Candylane (at that point in the season, at least) will not be too bad, especially for the kid rides. Be sure to check the entertainment schedule in the park as well. They put on some nice productions. Don't forget that ZooAmerica is open year round and included in the price of admission to Hersheypark. You actually have better luck seeing the animals out and active when it's cool than during the heat of the summer.

Chocolate World is great, too. There is the free ride and the make your own chocolate bar, already mentioned. I think the 3D Show is a lot of fun, though you will hear mixed reviews about it. Just be sure that your granddaughters won't be startled by streamers coming from the ceiling, etc. Chocolate World has Christmas displays as well...and one of the best Santa's around.

My family is one of the ones who enjoy Sweet Lights. It's especially fun early in the season when there are not a lot of cars because you can drive through without worrying about holding up other cars. We live in town and go every year, and my children are not little - 17, 13, 10. You can tune into a Christmas music station on your radio (they have the dial number as you drive in). I would recommend Sweet Lights and if you stay at a Hershey Entertainment property, I think you even receive a free pass.

I am wondering if the "light show" you mention might also be the one in Hersheypark. It is fun to see and a great addition to a visit to HerhseyPark.

I hope this helps!

PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
2,865 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekend before Thanksgiving??

I will echo what has all ready been posted. I didn't get a season pass to Hersheypark this year but do plan on making a visit to Christmas Candylane. I enjoy seeing all the light displays throughout the park and attending the Christmas show in the Music Box Theater. The light show inside the park is nice, not very long though. Lines for the kiddie rides shouldn't be bad at all. Even when there is a fair size crowd, the rides for some of the family rides, like the train and monorail, tend to move pretty well.

Definitely visit Chocolate World. I pretty much stick to the chocolate making ride. I'm not a fan of the 3D show and all the other extra attractions, like make your own chocolate bar, as I think they are way overprice for what they are.

Have a great visit.

West Conshohocken...
Level Contributor
171 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weekend before Thanksgiving??

Candylane is usually pretty dead up to and right thru the beginning of December. The 3-D show is something that the 4 year old will want to see even though it's pretty much just a giant advertisement for Hershey products.

If you do it there is usually a $1 off coupon on the Chocolate World website that makes it a bit better and also worth noting is that the 3-D show is closing after this year.

The make your own chocolate bar is interesting but fairly pricy and outside of when it first started I can't remember seeing any discounts. When you get there they try and price things in a bundle with different combinations between the 3-D show, make your own chocolate bar, and the trolley tour.

The Sweet Lights thing is interesting but again do you want to part with $20 just to see lights in a field? There are a lot of lights but all of this adds up very quickly.

Normally we do Candylane every year and we combine that with a trip to the zoo but we usually skip the crassly commercial 3-D show and the most of the other overpriced “experiences” inside Chocolate World.

5. Re: Weekend before Thanksgiving??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 December 2013, 10:17