We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much time allotted for 2-3 adults visiting Hershey?

Which Hershey hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
262 posts
376 reviews
Save Topic
How much time allotted for 2-3 adults visiting Hershey?

Getting our itineraries together for a first time trip to Pennsylvania and Hershey is a place we would like to visit, at least for a half day. Is this sufficient (3 to 4 hours) to go on the trolley, visit Gardens and maybe Chocolate World? This is for 2 maybe 3 adults - no children, although we love chocolate and are young at heart. (ages: 30's and 60's).

Elizabethtown...
Level Contributor
986 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much time allotted for 2-3 adults visiting Hershey?

It depends on time of year and crowds, and exactly how much you hope to do at Chocolate World. If you just want to ride the free "factory tour" ride and do a little shopping, an hour should be enough even with a significant line for the ride. If you want to indulge in other attractions, such as making a chocolate bar and doing the chocolate tasting, you'll be able to spend a good 2-3 hrs. at Chocolate World without even doing the Trolley Tour. The Gardens really depend on the individuals. My MIL is the type that could walk for hours on end looking at everything and reading every single label. Most people need 1-2 hrs.

I would also consider a visit to the Hershey Story Museum while you are in town. If you skip "Make your own Chocolate Bar" at Chocolate World, consider signing up for a "Chocolate Lab" at the Hershey Story. You can also do a chocolate tasting at Hershey Story. It is different from the one at Chocolate World, because rather than tasking different styles of chocolates, you drink chocolate that is exclusively from individual countries and look for differences - more like a wine tasting where you might compare Pinot Noir from OR, CA, and Burgundy.

Obviously, based on this, I think you should try to dedicate one full day to Hershey.

Harrisburg, PA
Level Contributor
509 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much time allotted for 2-3 adults visiting Hershey?

I think I'd agree with planning on a full day. Start with the Garden's before it get's too hot (don't forget to tour the butterfly house). Buy a combo ticket here for the Garden's and Hershey Story Museum ($15 combo, $10 each separately). Discounts are available for seniors as well as active and retired military if either of those should apply.

After the gardens, grab lunch in downtown Hershey ... perhaps the Chocolate Grill (upscale sandwiches/salads), Houlihan's (upscale bar food), or Hershey Pantry (nice small diner -- also serves an excellent breakfast should you get an early start and want to do something before going to the Gardens).

While downtown, do the Hershey Story museum.

Book a late-afternoon or early evening trolley tour and finish up with Chocolate World after the trolley tour. Saving Chocolate World for last will allow you to buy any chocolate items you might like as a souvenir and not have to worry about carrying them around all day or having them melt in the car. Chocolate World also usually has the longest hours since they are adjacent to Hersheypark.

Optional additions since you mention you are all adults -- Troeg's Brewery -- on Hersheypark Drive on the right just past the outlets at Hershey. There's a brief self-guided tour, gift shop, and a tasting room where you can purchase a few samples of this local Microbrew.

Also, perhaps a quick drive thru the Hershey Cemetery -- this is where Milton Hershey and his wife are buried. A lot of tourists mistakenly think he is buried in the Garden's. The cemetary is just a bit further down Hersheypark Drive past Troeg's to Laudermilch Road. Turn left on Laudermilch and go a short distance to the Cemetary entrance on the left. If you reach Gravel Road, you went too far. You can't miss the memorial site as it's the obvious location at the top of the hill.

All of this is easily a full day in Hershey.

Edited: 06 July 2013, 17:58
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
262 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much time allotted for 2-3 adults visiting Hershey?

Thanks all! Sorry for all this, but I am planning a detailed itinerary. thefourskis: BTW I failed to mention that my trip is late October (anticipate Sunday, October 27) as our day in Hershey and surrounding areas, going to Gettysburg that evening (maybe) and the entire next day (Monday), then going to Lancaster early Tuesday then final destination: Philadelphia for 2-1/2 days. Will it still be very crowded that time of the year in Hershey? Lasagna349: Sounds like a great itinerary that's doable for a full day in Hershey and a late evening one-hour drive to Gettysburg. If we experience all we want earlier, then we ljust eave earlier.

Elizabethtown...
Level Contributor
986 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much time allotted for 2-3 adults visiting Hershey?

No, that won't be a busy time. However, Chocolate World remains fairly active with bus tours throughout the year, so a weekend won't be completely empty either. It will also be a big weekend for Hersheypark in the Dark Halloween activities.

I like Lasagna's tour, although I think being here at that time of year could make for a shorter day. The Gardens will be displaying Fall color, but the Butterfly House will be closed by that time. I don't think you'll need quite the time there you would at Spring or Summer season, but I've never actually gone that late in the Fall, so perhaps others will chime in.

So, if you do an hour at the Gardens in the morning then go to Hershey Story for another 2, then have lunch downtown (I like Devon Seafood Grill or Chocolate Ave. Grill) you could have the entire afternoon to spend at Chocolate World and doing the Trolley Tour. Do the tour first, they end by around 4 or 5 p.m. at that time of year. I've never been to the Hershey grave site, that sounds interesting. Maybe I'll drive up there and check it out when the crowds have dissipated.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
262 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much time allotted for 2-3 adults visiting Hershey?

Thanks everyone! If we leave earlier from Hershey, we can always have the option of taking a short road trip towards Gettysburg and seeing what's on the way. Thanks!

PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
2,677 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much time allotted for 2-3 adults visiting Hershey?

Troegs Brewing Company serves light meals so you might want to consider combining the brewery tour and beer samplings with lunch.

If you have any extra time before you leave town, a quick visit to Founders Hall on the campus of the Milton S. Hershey school would be nice. There is a Visitor's Center; the grounds surrounding Founders Hall are beautiful and there are walking paths.

mhs-pa.org/about/…founders-hall

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
262 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much time allotted for 2-3 adults visiting Hershey?

Thank you all and I'll touch bases after my late October trip. Sounds like a great way to spend a day in Hershey. BTW, decided based on many unflattering reviews of Harrisburg (i.e., safety issues) to avoid that city. I know Chicago has a much more dangerous reputation, but I do know the areas to avoid.

PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
2,677 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much time allotted for 2-3 adults visiting Hershey?

Like all large cities, Harrisburg has areas to avoid; however, being downtown, which is where anything you would want to see is located, during day light hours is no worse than any other large city.

Hershey...
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: How much time allotted for 2-3 adults visiting Hershey?

My only input is that te trolley tour can sell out quickly. Because Halloween in Hershey activities will start up in the evenings over the weekends in Octobers there will be less regular trolleys because it switches to a trick or treat trolley at night. So I would check the CW and/or trolley works websites for info when it gets closer. If you are not going to CW right away you may want to consider prepurchasig your trolley tickets to avoid ariving and finding them all sold out.

Also, you atop at the founder's hall place on campus during the trolley tour. Or at least we did when we went a few years ago in October.

10. Re: How much time allotted for 2-3 adults visiting Hershey?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2014, 07:17