We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Amish Countryside

Which Hershey hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
614 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Amish Countryside

We will be in Hershey for a few days next month and would like to visit the Amish area in Lancaster.

I have checked the Internet and see tours to simulated Amish farms. Is it possible to visit the rural area where the Amish actually live and work, either on a tour or by car? We will be driving to Hershey so could stop by Lancaster on our way back.

I look forward to hearing from you and thank you in advance.

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,595 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Amish Countryside

Earlier this summer I was in the Strasburg area with my grandson doing "train" activities and there were Amish everywhere...just driving to the different sites we constantly saw them in their fields, driving around in buggies, etc.

Saukville, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Amish Countryside

amishfarmandhouse.com/Countryside_Tours.html

We just took this tour.It was awesome.They make 2 stops at Amish farms.I recommend it.

PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
2,646 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Amish Countryside

Another tour that is highly recommended is from the Mennonite Information Center. You get your own personal guide who can customize the tour to what you want to see.

www.mennoniteinfoctr.com/guided-tours.asp

Elizabethtown...
Level Contributor
986 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Amish Countryside

The simulated farms also ARE out in the country. While they don't have any actual Amish (although, perhaps, former Amish) working there, you are surrounded by Amish farmland. What is NOT considered ok, is just inviting yourself to drive up a farm lane and check things out or introduce yourself. The people that do the guided tours have permission if they visit an actual Amish family and farm.

I have repeatedly heard good things about the ones run by the Mennonite Information Center. There is also a good informations movie at the center to watch before you leave on your tour.

Level Contributor
614 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Amish Countryside

I thank all of your for your very helpful advice.

I checked out the websites and prices and am interested in the Amish Farm and House tour organized by Countryside Tours. Ghostmom03, is it an easy drive from Hershey to the tour site in Lancaster? We live in Montreal, Canada, and this will be our first visit to Pennsylvania:)

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,402 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Amish Countryside

This would be between 45 minutes and an hour drive depending on traffic and where you are staying in Hershey. The only traffic issues are likely to be on Route 30 East which can get backed up with tourists especially on Weekends.

As you probably know, these tours are operated out of the Amish Farm and Home, on Route 30 East, the main tourist strip. I have not taken this tour in decades but it gets generally good reviews. Don't take the tour on a Sunday, as the Amish business and farm stops listed on the tour will not occur that day.

I will join the others in my reccomendation of the Mennonite Information Center tour. The advantage of this tour is twofold First the guide rides in your car making the tour more personal and giving you some ability to choose stops. Second the guides are Mennonites with respect for and deep knowlege of the Amish.not offered Sunday of course.

I f you want to do your own driving tour Route 772 From Intercourse(route 340) to Leola( Route 23 )cuts through the oldest Amish farms and is comparatively non-touristy.There are a good number of Amish farmstands and Amish busineeses on this strtech, all closed Sunday, of coursre

Edited: 26 August 2013, 11:42
Level Contributor
614 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Amish Countryside

I thank you for your detailed reply, brookquarry. I appreciate your help.

We were planning on taking the tour on a Sunday and if it were not for your reply, would have missed out on seeing the Amish farmstands and businesses in action.

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,402 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Amish Countryside

In addition, no Amish will be working in the fields on Sunday.

Sometimes you will see a lot of buggys Sunday if you happen to catch the Amish going to or from whatever farm is hosting church that Sunday.

Saukville, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting Amish Countryside

Im glad Brookquarry could help with the driving directions.Im not from around there and my brother drove.my 12 year old daughter loved it The bus we took held 13 people a nice size.Enjoy your visit

Level Contributor
614 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting Amish Countryside

After creating our itinerary, we find we have a pretty tight schedule of sightseeing, etc., so instead of a tour would prefer to just drive around the Amish countryside, on a weekday, and view the Amish go about their work in their buggies and on their farms, see the covered the bridges, and maybe eat at an Amish restaurant.

We will be spending one night at Harrisburg and 5 nights in Hershey. Which of these places is closer to the area where the Amish reside?

I think we have to drive to Lancaster for Amish country? I would appreciate it if you be able to give us some general driving directions from Hershey to Amish countryside.

We are driving down from Montreal and the area is unfamiliar to us.

I thank you in advance.

Get answers to your questions about Hershey