We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hershey Penn. in late Dec.2013/early Jan. 2014

Level Contributor
83 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Hershey Penn. in late Dec.2013/early Jan. 2014

We are considering a trip to Hershey AFTER Christmas..maybe the 29th or 30th or 4-5 days.

We have 2 kids 11 (B) and 12(G). Having NEVER been I was wondering if there would be enough for us to do during that time? And also if there are any suggestions giving our kids ages.

Thank you for any help!

Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hershey Penn. in late Dec.2013/early Jan. 2014

Christmas Candylane will be in operation at Hersheypark during your visit. The entire park is not open just selected areas and selected rides. While most of the high thrill rides are not in operation, your kids would probably still enjoy it. The following website lists the rides that are open.

In addition to Candylane, you would be able to visit Hershey's Chocolate World, the Hershey Story (museum), the Antique Auto Museum, and take the Hershey Trolley Works tour. There is also Christmas in Chocolate Town, a musical production at the Hershey Lodge. Another Christmas attraction is the Sweet Lights, an illuminated display that stretches over a 2 mile span that you view from your car.

Edited: 08 September 2013, 03:16
Valley Stream, New...
Level Contributor
41 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hershey Penn. in late Dec.2013/early Jan. 2014

Similar situation two boys 11 and 13. dec. 29 - 1/1/14. Above suggestions are already on my list, but I think the Christmas show is over by the time we get there - have to double check the dates. Also, I think Hershey rides are going to be a bust for this age group. Most seem to be kiddie rides with the exception of maybe 2 or 3. Try www.visithersheyharrisburg.org. Going to look into Koziars Christmas Village in Bernville. 3D IMAX movie at Whittaker Science center, sight and sound theatre. turkey hill ice cream factory. Also, I believe their is a NYEve celebration at the Square in Hershey - a giant kiss falls at midnight. If you are staying at Hershey Hotel or Lodge, they have their own party. If you find anything please post. Will be scrambling for ideas just in case Candyland is a bust.

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,876 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hershey Penn. in late Dec.2013/early Jan. 2014

You might also consider the Railroad attractions of Strasburg (Strasburg Railroad, Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania, Train Collectors Museum) The Wolf Sanctuary, north of Lititz, might be interesting if the weather cooperates.

Level Contributor
986 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hershey Penn. in late Dec.2013/early Jan. 2014

While you are right about the ride situation at Christmas Candylane, my kids still enjoy a visit at 11 and 12. Most adults and older kids go for the few rides they enjoy - light displays are set up along the Turnpike and the railroad, even though those are far from "thrilling." The Claw is the biggest thriller that I think still runs unless unusually cold temps mess with the hydraulics. Otherwise, it's about walking around to see the various light shows (the bridge just up the hill from the looper is the best vista, IMO) , visiting with the reindeer, and getting hot chocolate and snacks.

The Hershey Story and Antique Cars should do well with your group, unless they are really anit-museum. Paying for the apprentice program and a chocolate lab keeps the kids interested at the Hershey Story. And all the activities at Chocolate World can take up most of a day. You really only have a few days to fill, I don't see you needing to "scramble." But Chirstmas Candylane is really an evening activity anyway, so you need to have some daytime activities planned.

5. Re: Hershey Penn. in late Dec.2013/early Jan. 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 December 2014, 05:16