We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour from New York

Which Hershey hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
3 posts
Save Topic
Tour from New York

HI. I am planning to go to Hershey chocolate factory, but i can not find a bus tour from New York.

Any suggestions?

Thank you

Morris

Harrisburg, PA
Level Contributor
509 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour from New York

Before you plan your trip -- you do understand that the Chocolate Factory itself doesn't offer tours and hasn't for many many years. Hershey Entertainment operates Chocolate World which features a ride-thru simulation of the chocolate making process -- enjoyable by all ages, but geared toward a younger crowd. It also has a "make your own chocolate bar" and 4D movie experience -- again geared toward younger audiences. And lastly has a shopping area with typical Hershey product and logo merchandise (which comes with a tourist rated price tag -- hint: you can get the exact same thing at the local grocery store for less or the same amount of money usually).

It's not generally considered an "all day" type excursion.

Are you planning to do other things while you're here? Staying overnight?

New York City, New...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour from New York

Thank you very much for your respond. My girlfriend wants to stay there overnight. we heard that it is interesting place and want spend 2 days there.

PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
2,680 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour from New York

I am not aware of any bus trip tours from NYC to Hershey. You would have to take a train to Harrisburg and then the local public transit bus service (CAT - Capital Area Transit) to Hershey. Another option would that according to the Hotel Hershey website, they provide a shuttle service from the Harrisburg train station for a fee.

Hummelstown
Destination Expert
for Hershey
Level Contributor
428 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tour from New York

If you have a driver's license, I think you might be wise to consider renting a car and driving down yourself. Even if you take the train and have a hotel shuttle or taxi take you to your hotel in Hershey, once you're here you'll be pretty stuck without a car.

In additional to Chocolate World, actually owned by The Hershey Company, there are other things to do during your stay. While Chocolate World is certainly a great place for kids, it has a lot for adults. The 4D show and make your own candy bar can be fun at any age if it's your kind of thing. Don't forget the Trolley leaves out of Chocolate World, too. And while you can find Hershey products in stores, it is sort of neat to see everything that Hershey produces. You will see products in Chocolate World you will not see in a typical store.

Other things to do in Hershey include the Hershey Story Museum, ZooAmerica, tours of the Hershey Theatre (or even a show) if your timing is right. There are concerts and other events at the Giant Center. Lots of people like to take a day at the Spa at the Hotel Hershey, which is actually a great one to go to as a couple. Unlike a lot of spas, the relaxation areas are open to both genders, so you can actually spend the time together.

Within 15-20 minutes there are lots of other places to visit. If you are interested in the Civil War, the National Civil War Museum in Harrisburg is not far away. Indian Echo Caverns is an interesting diversion, too.

My point is, while I love living here, Hershey is not exactly an easy place to navigate without a car. We don't have public transportation and taxis don't exist. You have to call a taxi company to come out and get you, which really only works for drop offs to the airport, train station, etc. Otherwise simple things, like getting a bite for dinner, will likely become a frustration without a car, in my opinion.

5. Re: Tour from New York

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2014, 05:19