We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for adult stay in the end of June

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
60 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Advice for adult stay in the end of June

I am accompanying my husband on a work trip to the Hotel Hershey at the end of June (Sunday through Tuesday). We have a group dinner on Sunday night. My husband has morning meetings on Monday and Tuesday so I'm on my own until mid day and then the two of us can do whatever we want the remainder of each day.

Please provide suggestions for the following:

-Breakfast on my own

-Lunches

-Dinner on Monday night (relaxed atmosphere, perhaps something unique to the area)

-Activities, both on my own in the mornings and as a couple on Monday and Tuesday afternoon/evening

We are considering Hershey Park because we haven't been in many years, perhaps with a sunset ticket on Monday. Is the Troeg's Brewery worth a tour? I checked the local winery summer concert schedules but none correspond with our dates. Would Mount Hope, Nissley, or Waltz Wineries be worth a stop for tastings or a picnic? We could head to one of the wineries on our way to Hershey as check in is not until 4pm.

We are low key and enjoy being outdoors.

Thanks in advance!

PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
3,012 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for adult stay in the end of June

I am reading your post as I head out the door, so will comment more later but for now, I just wanted to recommend the Hershey Pantry for breakfast. Go around to the side of the building and dine in the outdoor seating area in the back. Troegs is definitely worth a visit. More later.

PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
3,012 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for adult stay in the end of June

I just attempted to edit the above post & got timed out, so everything I typed is lost. I will attempt to recreate.

The Tanger Outlets would be a good place to spend some of your alone time, particularly if you like to shop and your husband does not. The Hershey Gardens, The Hershey Museum, Chocolate World, and the Hershey Trolly Works are all worth a visit. Nearby Indian Echo Caverns and the Antique Auto Museum may also be of interest.

As for the wineries, I have been to Mount Hope and definitely would recommend it for a tasting.

Edited: 27 May 2014, 20:55
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
60 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for adult stay in the end of June

Thank you FlyEagle! I appreciate your effort to repost your lost work:)

Harrisburg, PA
Level Contributor
509 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice for adult stay in the end of June

If you're staying at the Hotel Hershey, chances are your stay will include tickets to the Hershey Gardens and Hershey Story Museum. These are both worth checking out. The Garden's are right across the drive from the hotel. Don't miss the butterfly house which is now open.

If you're a rides enthusiast, then by all means check out the park. If not, you might better appreciate a trolley tour (book in advance) which departs from just outside Chocolate World. There will be a shuttle from the hotel, so no need to pay for parking. You can also check out Chocolate World while there and pick up any needed chocolate. Parking at the Garden's is also free and there is ample free parking on the parking deck downtown behind the Hershey Story museum.

Troegs is worth a visit if you like beer. I've not been to the wineries, so can't comment there. There is a self-guide short tour which will show you the operations and a tasting room where you can purchase samples. A gift shop as well if you want any souvenirs. The brewery tour is free.

Hershey Pantry was recommended for breakfast and I agree wholeheartedly. It's also a nice place for lunch or "tea".

One of the off the beaten path places I send couples or those without younger kids to is the Hershey Cemetery. This is where Milton Hershey is buried (not in the Garden's as is sometimes rumored). If you head out Hersheypark Drive past Troegs to Laudermilch Road and turn left. There cemetery entrance is just past Police Academy Drive / Swatara Road on the left (it's easy to miss). Follow the drive to the top of the hill and you can't miss the grave site. Be respectful.

You may also want to consider visiting Founder's Hall at the Milton Hershey School. It's the big Rotunda east of town you should be able to see from the hotel. I also believe the Hershey Theater also has tours if you're interested in some of the old architecture. Along those lines, you might want to see if there is a show at theater while you are in town and see if you can get tickets.

Hope that adds some ideas to your list.

Edited: 27 May 2014, 23:01
PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
3,012 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice for adult stay in the end of June

Another good lunch spot is the Chocolate Avenue Grill. They have outside dining in the front of the restaurant. As you are right on the main street of Hershey, it can get loud from traffic, but overall it's a nice experience. A few other restaurant recommendations would be Piazza Sorrento, Smoked Bar and Grill, and the Warner Hotel in nearby Hummelstown. If you want "themed" dining, The Soda Jerk in Hummelstown is like a 50's diner (food is average).

For homemade ice cream and gelati, visit Mazzoli Ice Cream at 72 West Governor Road in Hershey.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,220 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice for adult stay in the end of June

Troegs is cool for lunch. Good, fresh, unique food and good beer. Many are very hoppy, but there are some other selections that offer malty to crisp and balanced.

Chocolate Ave. Grille is good for lunch or dinner. Not overly fancy, but good quality dishes all around (and yes, even a great steak).

Piazza Sorrento is a nice Italian option. Pasta is made fresh and desserts are excellent.

7. Re: Advice for adult stay in the end of June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2015, 05:17