We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions on a hotel near Hershey

Which Hershey hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
379 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions on a hotel near Hershey

Hi All,

We are considering a few days in late August at Hershey.

We will have a hire car so just don't know where to start?

I was looking at the Hershey Lodge but not sure if its worth the extra $$.

We really want an outdoor pool too.

Any advice or recommendations would be great! We have two daughters aged 10 and 6.

We recently did Disney World and we loved staying at one of the hotels however I am sure Hershey is not as big. We also would love to visit Amish Country one of the days too.

PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
2,714 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions on a hotel near Hershey

It would be helpful to know a range of how much you would like to spend per night for a hotel and how far from Hersheypark you are willing to stay. With that information, we can narrow down some choices.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
379 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions on a hotel near Hershey

Ok I would say around $200-$250 per night?

I would like to be maybe a short 15 minute drive? We dont drive much as we live in Manhattan.

I am just trying to work out if its worth the extra $$ to stay at Hershey Lodge/Hotel for the convenience?

We would probably want to visit the park over two days?

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
5,538 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions on a hotel near Hershey

Did you check the Days Inn just down the street from the Lodge? That would be my first option.

Harrisburg, PA
Level Contributor
509 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions on a hotel near Hershey

Benefits of staying at the Lodge or Hotel Hershey ... ticket packages which include admission to the park, gardens, and Hershey Story museum are available; shuttle transportation from the hotel to the park and back (no daily parking fee); one hour early admission to the park for access to a limited number of rides in the front section of the park. The Gardens are worth a visit if you get tickets in a package -- the girls will love the butterfly house.

Benefits of staying elsewhere -- $$$. You can get discount tickets at the local Giant grocery stores and if you shop around, many township offices, etc. offer them as well. You already have the car, so paying to park is only another $10/day. The early admission is not a big perk in my opinion -- the park will be open to 10pm or 11pm at that point which is usually more than enough time especially with 2 days at the park.

Check out hotels along Route 39 heading west from Hershey all the way out to I-81. Also those at I-81 and 743. These will all be a short drive to Hershey. Also consider hotels near I-283 and PA-441 in Harrisburg -- same deal, relatively short drive but a big cost break usually. The latter will be an easier trip to Lancaster, but nothing major. If you want to base yourself in Lancaster, the Eden Resort seems to get high marks -- a little farther from Hershey (30 minutes), but still reasonably close.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
379 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions on a hotel near Hershey

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I think being close to the park would work out well. Being summer we also would love a outdoor pool so I saw the Sheraton Harrisburg has one and good reviews.

We will have a car so it does make it easier to get around.

Harrisburg, PA
Level Contributor
509 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions on a hotel near Hershey

The Sheraton is what used to be the Marriott years ago. It's an OK place from what I hear, but not a "Marriott" experience. Some love it and some hate it. I believe it may be in need of a makeover, but I've not stayed there personally. A pretty typical Sheraton pattern -- buy a hotel that a big chain wants to get off their books, make a few changes for rebranding, and continue to run it under the new name.

It will take you about 20 minutes or so (a little longer with traffic) to get over to Hersheypark, so not a bad drive. It's also adjacent to a strip mall with a Target and several chain restaurants (Friendly's, Chili's, etc.) and also near a McDonalds and a pizza place as well as some other diners, a mall, and some more restaurants -- so reasonably good location from that perspective.

West Conshohocken...
Level Contributor
171 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions on a hotel near Hershey

I have not stayed there in a few years but I stayed several times during the Marriott years up into the beginning of the Sheraton years and the best way I can describe things there is tired. The layout of everything is very odd and unless they upgraded the Internet the strength especially in the rooms that are by the pool was poor at best. The staff was always top notch but you are talking about a building that next year turns 35.

While the indoor/outdoor pool is nice, there are better places in the area.

"A pretty typical Sheraton pattern -- buy a hotel that a big chain wants to get off their books, make a few changes for rebranding, and continue to run it under the new name."

Just for a point of clarity, Marriott didn't care about that point because they didn't own the hotel at the time of the change in brand the same as they don't own 99.9% of their hotels. It's more like Marriott's management contract was up and the owner of the building (the name escapes me) opted for a brand with less overhead cost/franchise fees hence the change to Sheraton. The current owner is SHH Partners, L.P. who bought the hotel in '08 and I've been told that they've put some money into the place but things are still dated.

8. Re: Suggestions on a hotel near Hershey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2015, 05:16