We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jianshui by train or bus

Petaling Jaya...
Level Contributor
2,201 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Jianshui by train or bus

Hi,

Which train# or bus do we take to Jianshui from Kunming? Read about the old town and will like to fit the trip there into our Yunnan trip.

Thanks for yr help.

11 replies to this topic
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,052 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jianshui by train or bus

There is no train. You need to take a bus. Sorry I have no info on the bus.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,426 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jianshui by train or bus

There are 2 regular train daily and freq. buses from Kunming to Jianshui.

The regular trains are;

#K9652/K9653 which departure at 08:06 and will arrive at 11:26,

#K9656/K9657 which departure at 17:23 and will arrive at 20:40.

Currently, a temporary train #L9852/L9853 operates in Lunar New Year period that departure at 12:59 and will arrive at 16:49.

Freq. buses departure at the Southern Bus Station from 07:30 to 18:00 with @30min interval.

After that are 19:10 and 20:30 respectively.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
9,555 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jianshui by train or bus

Train started last year between Kunming and Mengzi, stops at Jianshui. As above, hard SEAT only. Expect a very local crowd. Buses are far more flexible since there are many more departures. However, the Kunming train station is relatively central while South Bus station is a 30+ minute drive from the center. On the other end, the Jianshui new train station is a bit out of the city, whereas the bus station is a 5 minute ride to the old town.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,052 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jianshui by train or bus

Interesting that the train schedule website that I normally use doesn't show it. Another proof that train websites in English are not reliable for China. Should have checked on 12306.cn.

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,441 posts
533 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jianshui by train or bus

I've made that trip both by train and bus within the past month. Information in Post #2 is right on.

Travel time is about the same (3.5 to 4 hours) Cost is of both methods is similar (50 to 75 Yuan, to the best of my recollection.)

Jianshui is definitely worth the trouble of an overnight stop. Splendid place.

Edited: 01 February 2014, 02:59
Petaling Jaya...
Level Contributor
2,201 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jianshui by train or bus

Thanks for all the detailed replies. We are keeping a loose travel itinerary, so will see how it turn out.

Once again, thanks.

Petaling Jaya...
Level Contributor
2,201 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jianshui by train or bus

ZhongguoMK, you visited recently, will you advise whether we should stay 2 nights or just overnight in Jianshui? I read about Linan Inn which sounds an interesting place to stay.

Thank You.

Stamford...
Level Contributor
135 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jianshui by train or bus

I know that this is over a year later but hopefully it will be useful to someone... We arrived today and are staying two nights at the Linan Inn. It is a bit more money than we expected but also a lot more upscale (we are two honeymooning backpackers on a budget). The traditional courtyard is wonderful and front desk staff super helpful. Biggest downside is that they only had a twin room available!

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,441 posts
533 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jianshui by train or bus

How much was it?

Some TA reviews confuse Lin An Inn and Lin Ann Hotel. I'm assuming you stayed at the former rather than the latter.

Edited: 11 June 2015, 00:53
Stamford...
Level Contributor
135 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jianshui by train or bus

Yes, the TA reviews absolutely do confuse the two, and maybe CTrip reviews as well as the prices were off (though those are official so I am not sure how...). We are paying 168RMB per night for a twin ensure room with A/C. It's an incredible deal for how nice this place is, just was mislead by CTrip saying 104RMB. However, it impossible that that room was taken and we see in nicer room. Hard to communicate questions with our lack of fluent Chinese (funny to me how it is phrases re:staff's English since we are in China! What language should hospitality staff speak in the US? French???).

Reply to: Jianshui by train or bus
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Jianshui County